Garden eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I've seen these in the public aquarium and LOVE them. The are so cool looking and really entertaining to watch. I understand that they are quite difficult to keep unfortunately. I don't know much but i heard that they wait around and snatch most of their food that passes by in the water column making them quite hard to feed with out having a lot of food floating around in the tank all the time. So i guess what i'm looking for is just any experiences if anyone has kept them or more likely just info on what it does take to keep them. by the way this is not for the tank in my signature. It would be in a much larger tank i'm hoping to set up down the road. Right now this is what i know about them

need deep sand bed to burrow
like to be in a small comunity
difficult to feed (looking for more details)
need peacful community of fish as they are quite docile

Any additional details or info or just correcting what ever false impressions i have here would be greatly appreciated.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Garden Eel

edit: I'm making the assumption that these would be added once the tank it well established and water parameter swings and new tank issues would not be a problem. So for this little learning experience assume that water parameters are good. SG= 1.025 and nitrates < 5ppm

I just saw these eels at the Georgia Aquarium. They are very cute and it was very interesting to watch the whole tank of them bob up and down together. They did catch bits of food as it drifted by. I talked to the assistant curator about them (just a little bit; we had so much to talk about!) and she said they weren't suitable for home aquaria. The sandbed depth needed is 12-15 inches. She was helping out another aquarium or zoo that was having a hard time with them. I can't really tell you much more than that but I did see that Live Aquaria recommends them for zoos and similar institutions. You could try giving Live Aquaria a call and see what they can tell you.

Thanks i kinda of figured that i would have to start digging for info but i thought i would give it a shot and see if anyone knew more about them.

she said they weren't suitable for home aquaria

I suspect this is probably the case but i will look into it a bit more and see. I won't keep them if i can't provide a proper home but i am willing to do a lot to try and have them because they are so interesting. So we shall see.

I just saw these little guys yesterday at my LFS, they sell for around $50 CDN. They had an aquarium with a few of them, orange and green ones... always drifting around, or popping down and hopping up somewhere else. It was a regular community tank, not very large, around 60g. They weren't very big either, looked like very long colorful worms. I asked them about it, and they said they live no problem in a community aquarium, the sandbed was only around 2", but they seemed happy.
I don't know how large they get though, or about feeding. I saw a tiny crab crawl up one of them, then the garden eel disappeared under the sand and the crab fell on his back, which was fun to see.

Here's some info I found:

Garden eels are the hardest of all eels to keep in the home aquarium. They require lots of special planning and care. These eels need to spread out, so the tank needs to be quite large because if the males are too close to one another, they will fight. The sand also needs to be at least one-half foot deep or the garden eels will hurt their tails by trying to drive into the bottom of the tank when forming their burrow. There also needs to be an artificial current to bring them their live food. All of these factors make garden eels hard to keep at home. Their population remains stable, but if too many are collected in the pet trade and sold in pet stores, they may decline.

Did You Know?
Sneaky snake eels dive deep into the sand, far from a colony of gardens eels. The snake eels then slither their way underneath the garden eels' burrows, attacking them from underneath.
Large triggerfish dive bomb garden eel colonies, digging them out of the sand when the eels try to hide inside.

Thanks for the info. I think i could provide a deep enough sand bed and the space. It would be in a 180 gallon tank. My main concern would be keeping them fed.

I think keeping them fed will be easy enough, they mainly eat eggs and little animals floating by. (Up to 500 animals in one feeding!). If you get some food (i.e. fresh frozen shrimp) and blend it a little until it's small. Shut off your filter/sump, and just keep your power heads on... then it should be fine. The powerheads will circulate the food by the eel over time, and they'll eat. After a short while you can turn your filtration back on. The main thing here would be mixing slow-moving fish in the aquarium too, so they won't eat up all the food before your garden eel has a chance.

Yeah its something i'll have to look into. When my tank is closer to being set up i will probably see if i can find a book on them or something to find out exactly what thier diet consists of. Hopefully with the filtration i'm looking at setting up with minimal skimming they might be able to pull a decent amount of food left over in the water colum.

Pat, I'll get you some information as it was a recent topic on a listserve. From what I understand, depth of substrate is the easy part and they do have territorial disputes so they need room between burrows. I'll see what I can dig up from past emails for you ;) All in all, they are definitely for "expert" aquarists and I don't even recommend their sale on an everyday hobby level.

Thanks, Yeah depth of supstrate is really not what i'm to concerned about. More of a concern is being able to provide a proper diet and if they are prone to infection or disease. I haven't totally planned out the tank yet but i think i should have enough to keep a few in there but i'm not sure if the like to be in a larger communit or not. I would have to do A LOT more research before i ever put them in a tank to ensure that i could provide a proper home. I'm well aware that they would be difficult to keep at best. Any info you can find would be much appreciated. Have no fear dediated AA readers. I do not under any circumstances intent to purches these eels unless i'm sure i can provide for thier needs. Thanks for all the input so far.

I apologize it took so long, but as promised I am posting the recent discussions on a listserve and hopefully adds some value to your questions. On a side note, I am not recording whom these replys are from, but an assemblage of various professional aquariums within the U.S. and international;

Header Question:
"We are in the process of acquiring a group of Heteroconger hassi, and a few husbandry questions have come up; There is some concern that the animals may suffer additional risk of injury during the course of a separate quarantine stop / transfer. Would there be any significant advantage to carrying out preventative medication on exhibit? How vulnerable are they to injury, infection or parasites? Which infectious diseases or parasites in particular? Would a five day nitrofurazone treatment and thirty days on copper be suitable? We are deciding between a 50/50 mixture of silicon filter sand and slightly larger aragonite gravel, or the silicon sand on its own. Is either substrate preferable or should we be looking at something different? Do you have any other advice which would be helpfull?"

Answers:
"We have currently got a population of about 25 garden eels. Upon Arrival we gave them a PRAZI treatment, Apart from this they spent next to no time in quarantine, not sure if this was a good thing but our survival rate was exellent. We got them out onto display as soon as possible. With regards to substrate we have found a fine coral sand to be sufficient roughly 4 inches deep. I personally would not try anything to coarse."

"We have a group of the same species here. When they arrived, we chose to quarantine them on exhibit to minimize stress as it would be hard to set up a suitable quarantine tank. There was nothing else in the exhibit before the eels went in, so there was not too much concern about doing it this way. The only thing that we treated with was Baytril. They are in 8-10 inches of fairly fine sand. I would definitely, also, steer away from anything too coarse as it seems to be bothersome to them and they do not seem to thrive in it. I should also point out that there is a return manifold under the sand to help keep it from getting too compacted. When doing gravel vacs on it, I only dig less than 1" into the sand, and there has not been any problems with this."

"Unfortunately once introduced into any exhibit, pathogens can easily become established, hence quarantine, which is designed to isolate specimens to prevent the risk of pathogen transfer, even into naïve exhibits. In future, all South African public aquaria are going to have to comply with biosecurity regulations, which prohibits the movement of fishes between areas without health certification. This will have an impact on quarantine protocols and the sterilisation of effluent water from exhibits (public aquaria-general) / fish farms etc. I know this all sounds “out-there,” but we need to begin planning quarantine regimes, even if only for isolation periods at this time. Where are your eels coming from? If internationally, what country? To answer your questions about susceptibility to infection and what pathogens, it depends on several variables. If your eels are kept relatively free from stressors, and their husbandry is good and their feeding requirements met, you should have fewer problems. They DO seem to be susceptible though to injury as you suggested, which can become secondarily infected. On parasites, I stand corrected in suggesting that little or no parasitology has been done for these species, though the ubiquitous parasites Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans are quite possibly “usual suspects.” On Nitrofurazone use, please remember that antibiotics should be used as an active treatment according to a known infection and antibiogram, and not really as a prophylaxis. I do understand your concern about preventing infection of possible lesions caused by transfer of the animals between quarantine and exhibit, but in the long run, as seen with the drug Enrofloxacin, we will be faced with future resistance. Try to rather prevent any injury first, maybe by anaesthetising them to facilitate stress-free."

Header Question:
"Has anyone seen a relationship in how far garden eels, Heteroconger hassi, will come out of their burrows and water height/depth above them? Or any relationship on how far they come out and light intensity?"

Answers:
"I haven’t noticed any relationship regarding water depth and how far our H. hassi come out of their burrows, mostly because the tank we moved them into was not much deeper then their old one. The eels in their old tank where very shy and did not display well during public hours, when we introduce them to their new habitat with a greatly increase flow and not much but a bit lower light levels and I have found that the eels seem a lot more comfortable and come farther out of their burrows more often."

Header Question:
"For those of you with Garden Eel exhibits, I am curious as to how many times/day you are feeding them."

Answers:
"We feed our garden eels cyclopeeze, frozen mysis and ground gel diet twice a day. Usually once in the morning and then a second feeding shortly before we leave for the day."

"Two or three times a day with a variety of frozen foods and live artemia."

"We have a stable population of garden eels that have been on exhibit without replenishing for about 4 years. We feed small chop mussel/fish or gel once a day with bonus nauplii a few times a week in the afternoon."

"We feed our Heteroconger hassi twice daily, in the morning we feed frozen mysis, brine shrimp, and we start a drip bucket with cyclopeeze/artemia nauplii. Then in the afternoon we feed either plankton, flakes or gel diet."

Header Question:
"We 're planning to opent a new tank (Lg3,5Xlg1,5XH1,5) displayng
garden eels with some other fishes (basslets, cardinal and glassfish). Does any one have such experience and or advise ?"

Answers:
"I don't remember exactly the name of Garden eels genus (Heteroconger or Gorgasia perhaps) that we worked with. Our tank was more or less 0,5m3. For the sand size, they use to work with coral sand not very big (2-3 mm grain size). Filtration system with airlifts and food... live enriched artemia and/or overall live mysis (2-3 times per day)."

"many aquariums exhibit H. hassi with other fish so I don't see a problem though these tend to be large exhibits. I have seen H. hassi and Gorgasia species in tanks at Sunshine Aquarium, Tokyo (1000 gallons?), Aquamarine Fukushima (20,000 gallons), Henry Doorly Zoo (500 gallons?)and the Georgia Aquarium (15,000 gallons?)."

Thanks very much. this helps out considerably. Seems like the only problems i would run into is feeding twice a day. I will have to get my tank established and see if i will have enough nutrient export to handel the intense feeding.

Back
Top Bottom