gave my pleco zucchini..fish eating post!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think my pleco is going to starve to death. He doesn't eat anything and there is no algae since it's a fresh tank :confused:

I have a baby carrot in there this time and nothing...

I think my pleco is going to starve to death. He doesn't eat anything and there is no algae since it's a fresh tank :confused:

What sort of pleco is it?
What kinds of pleco foods have you tried?
If he isn't eating or pooping then he has to be sick. My big gold spot pleco was like that- he constantly hid, didn't eat, and his tummy started to hollow out. I treated for internal parasites, and within a couple of weeks he was back to the eating-pooping machine I know and love. lol.

Oh no, have you tried cooked broccoli stem, not the florets they make a huge mess, just the stem cooked and dropped in my Pleco loves it, it's always been his favourite, and if he doesn't like the wafers you feed him, try buying a bag of mixed ones from eBay and try him on different ones, that's what I did, he loves the shrimp wafers that stick onto the glass , as soon as I put on on the glass he's out, day or night . He has a munch on the others but if he leaves them the other fish finish them off so there's no waste :)
I tried strawberries once he enjoyed them , the only down side was at the time I only had an internal filter that wasn't very good and my water was pink for 2 days,
If you google "what will a Pleco eat" you will be very surprised I know I was and that was 2 years ago, maybe that's why my Mick is so beautiful and huge, he has a better diet than my hubby, or so he keeps telling me :) oh my hubby tells me not the fish lol ..

Oh no, have you tried cooked broccoli stem, not the florets they make a huge mess, just the stem cooked and dropped in my Pleco loves it, it's always been his favourite, and if he doesn't like the wafers you feed him, try buying a bag of mixed ones from eBay and try him on different ones, that's what I did, he loves the shrimp wafers that stick onto the glass , as soon as I put on on the glass he's out, day or night . He has a munch on the others but if he leaves them the other fish finish them off so there's no waste :)
I tried strawberries once he enjoyed them , the only down side was at the time I only had an internal filter that wasn't very good and my water was pink for 2 days,
If you google "what will a Pleco eat" you will be very surprised I know I was and that was 2 years ago, maybe that's why my Mick is so beautiful and huge, he has a better diet than my hubby, or so he keeps telling me :) oh my hubby tells me not the fish lol ..
My other fish actively eat and will zoom around eating flake or whatever I throw in there, but he just hangs out on the HOB pick-up tube. Now during the night I don't know what he does. If I flick on the lights he is usually stuck to the glass, on the gravel, or upside down sucking the bottom of his little stonehedge-shaped decoration. Perhaps he actively eats at night time, but I don't have a "moon light" at the moment.

If I throw an algae chip or 2 in before going to bed, usually they are still there in the morning but of dissolved.

I still think he's poopin because when I clean the tank and move his decoration, there's usually a good bit around that.

Can pleco's smell their food, or do they stumble across it?

My other fish actively eat and will zoom around eating flake or whatever I throw in there, but he just hangs out on the HOB pick-up tube. Now during the night I don't know what he does. If I flick on the lights he is usually stuck to the glass, on the gravel, or upside down sucking the bottom of his little stonehedge-shaped decoration. Perhaps he actively eats at night time, but I don't have a "moon light" at the moment.

If I throw an algae chip or 2 in before going to bed, usually they are still there in the morning but of dissolved.

I still think he's poopin because when I clean the tank and move his decoration, there's usually a good bit around that.

Can pleco's smell their food, or do they stumble across it?

I think they smell/taste it , as soon as broccoli goes in he goes nuts, I'm going to get some calabacitas today they are similar to zucchini just a little bigger, but I can't get zucchini here :(

And as for poop ! Well I have to vac every morning he poops loads , but he's nearly 30 cm , and before I get attacked for cruelty for having him in a 55 yes he's happy and soon getting a 100-150 that we are planning in building, I also do 2 pwc a week approx 40% and have a rena xp3 and eheim 2012 .. Just saying :)

Here is my pleco

Attachments

• image-99095040.jpg
    image-99095040.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 70
I think they smell/taste it , as soon as broccoli goes in he goes nuts, I'm going to get some calabacitas today they are similar to zucchini just a little bigger, but I can't get zucchini here :(

And as for poop ! Well I have to vac every morning he poops loads , but he's nearly 30 cm , and before I get attacked for cruelty for having him in a 55 yes he's happy and soon getting a 100-150 that we are planning in building, I also do 2 pwc a week approx 40% and have a rena xp3 and eheim 2012 .. Just saying :)

I put in a broccoli stem yesterday and I don't believe he touched it. If he did, it wasn't much.

Tonight I have a different plan. Since he likes to hang out on the HOB pick up tube, I attached some romaine/spinach where he normally sits. I had to shoo him away, so when he comes back I'll see if he sits right on top of it and munches away, or lays somewhere else.

My other fish are fine. I have a few neon tetras and red eye tetras as well.

You guys are making my jealous!!! I have been searching for a L-144 L/F that I can afford atm, I think plecos are the coolest fish ever.

Back
Top Bottom