GBR aggression question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I got a trio of really healthy GBR's from a breeder. These are the best looking rams I've seen in a while. Anyway, there are two females and one male. One of the females and the male are about the same size (small) and I figure about the same age (teens) the other female is larger, more colorful and presumably older. Well, the two smaller rams have seemingly paired up as they swim together and hang together in the plants, but I've noticed that they both fairly aggressively chase the older female. She doesn't seem stressed yet, but I am concerned. Should I remove her to my 29 gallon tank or just let them work it out? It is a heavily planted 55 gallon tank and there are plenty of places for her to hide, but I don't want them to stress her to death. So far, she's eating and swimming around just fine, but they chase her quite a bit. Is this a huge problem for them? Or am I just being hypersensitive?

Funny that a young male would prefer the young female over the mature one. The older female would tend to ensure her breeding opportunities more so than the younger one. I agree with LWB, let them sort it out unless she becomes truly stressed.

I thought it was weird too. The older female looks like she's about ready to drop some eggs, but he seems to prefer the "young stuff" *typical man* LOL. Okay, I'll keep my eye one her and make sure she's not stressed too bad. If so, I'm prepared to move her to my 29. Thanks guys.

GBR trios are good to have.....until a pair forms. From my experience, the pair will harass the "3rd wheel", especially when they spawn. Just keep an eye on her.

BTW, don't be surprised if the male if the male switches up and starts courting the older female. They will strike wherever the opportunity presents itself. Two-timing is a definite possibility. :lol:

I agree with Maxwell. Rams are one of the few dwarf species that actually form pairs; harems really aren't needed.

I'd move the odd girl out and allow the pair to have the tank to themselves. ;)

Well, i had to move the older girl. The pair that formed laid eggs and they both were harrassing her to NO end. I was starting to worry about her. Even the other female was lip locking with her and the male was just chasing her relentlessly!

Do y'all think she will be okay in my 29 gallon tank? See fish list in signature. Params: pH: 7.0, NH3: 0, NO2: 0, NO3: 5-10 ppm, temp: 80 deg F I hope she'll be okay, nobody in there will chase her at least. Please advise.

She will do just fine in the 29G. That's a pretty big tank for her. I wouldn't worry aout the other fish either. She will be fine. Need to find her another male. :)

Ahhh...another male. LOL Yes, that seems like the thing to work on next. She's gorgeous and would make any male ram a nice wife. LOL Thanks LWB!!!

Good move! Like Wolf said, she'll be fine in that 29g. Just keep an eye on how she acts. Some Rams do better with mates, while others are very to be alone. It varies from fish to fish....

Back
Top Bottom