GBR Fry Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, my dominant pair of GBR's decided to spawn last night while I was finishing moving out of my apartment and into my grandparents' house. The tank was already set up at my grandparents' house and I thought that they might try to spawn when I was gone because I noticed that the female's ovipositor was as it usually is before she decides to lay later at night. When I arrived home I noticed that they had spawned as I thought they would.

This morning I set up the ten gallon grow out tank and because I didn't have RO water (I forgot to get it when I was moving last night) I used water from the 55 gallon tank (where the eggs came from, which was nearly all RO from moving the tank the previous week). I put all of my extra slate in a stack on one end of the ten gallon tank so that I wouldn't have to transfer as much water from the 55, and then I carefully scooped out all the eggs that I could possibly see with a plastic spoon and placed them into a small tupperware container that I used to transfer them to the ten gallon tank.

I also put in a full tupperware container amount of seeded pool filter sand into the grow out tank. Then I carefully spread out the eggs which were for the most part adhered to pieces of the sand. I placed them relatively close to the sponge filter that I am using in hopes that it will provide decent circulation/current. When I was finished I gently placed a huge amount of java moss near and over the eggs and I pulled it so that it thinned out instead of a giant mass. I am hoping that this will provide the fry with sufficient food in the way of microorganisms until they are able to eat other food. Currently the water temp is at 78 degrees or so and I plan on getting the temp to 82 degrees. I am currently working on raising the temperature of the water.

I plan on updating this journal whenever I can so please check back for updates and of course... pictures! Most likely it will be daily, but I will not be able to update on Friday and I may be able to update on Saturday, if I get out of work early. Right now I have a lot to do with unpacking, school and work so I will most likely have pics sometime Friday morning, but by sometime on Sunday for sure. I could possibly even take a couple of shots tonight if I can find my camera.

I got home from work late last night/early this morning and I looked into the grow out tank to find that most of the eggs had fungus/bacterial growth (most likely fungus) all over them. I am not sure if any survived but it is likely that a few did as the eggs that I have hatched before hatched around 48 hours or so. I thought I saw one or two this morning but it may have been me wanting to see things as they are really small and blend in well with pool filter sand.

It is my fault for forgetting to put in a combo of Pimafix and Melafix. I think I am going to stay away from hydrogen peroxide for fungal treatment for the time being. I am hoping that there actually are some fry in the tank. I guess I will know by Tuesday or so for sure as they should be moving around a lot by then.

Sorry to hear about the fungus. :( Let's hope everything turns out ok.

I just got a pair of juvie GBR's today. Hopefully some day I can have my own topic on breeding these.

I arrived home about an hour ago and I looked in the fry tank and saw two tiny little wigglers. The light was off so they probably were not that active. I turned the light on and checked again a half an hour later to find 2 more, and I saw all four at once. So I am guessing that maybe a dozen or so survived the fungus blunder on my part. I will keep you updated and will try to get a few pics of the little ones. If not I may just add some pics from a previous hatching to show you guys what they look like.

I count at least 6 now that the lights have been on for a few hours. Going to bed now and will really try to get some good pics in the morning.

I'll be hoping you still have a few. Try methylene blue instead of peroxide to keep fungus at bay. I've had no luck with peroxide either.

Here are a few pics for those of you that are interested.

Attachments

• picture_010_124.jpg
    picture_010_124.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 492
  • picture_007_387.jpg
    picture_007_387.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 492
  • picture_005_823.jpg
    picture_005_823.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 493
  • picture_002_115.jpg
    picture_002_115.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 491
  • picture_012_144.jpg
    picture_012_144.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
  • picture_019_111.jpg
    picture_019_111.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 31
Today the little wigglers seem to be out and about for the most part. I only see one on the bottom near the java moss and the rest are in, on and around it feeding off of it. The yolk sacs seem to have disappeared for the most part and they are looking for food. I will wait a few days before trying to feed Hikari First Bites unless I feel that the fish are large enough to start feeding on "real" food.

Back
Top Bottom