GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhh..... You seented my soon coming bday present from the lady, ey. Lol.... Im excited... So while looking for some high quality angels for sini. Ive run into some awesome EBRs from a discus/angel breeder buddy of mine. And he keyed me in on your present. Dont be surprised wgen a package shows up on your door step. Its exactly what weve been missing in this ram game. Gettin 1 for myself as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I knew I liked the sound of what you were cooking!(y)

Sure has helped getting guidance from you and Andy this season!

Your GBR are already playing a huge role in the breeding and can't wait till I can mix fry from them and mine!
There could be a chance of that this Spring possibly if the fish Gods keep smiling !

I am excited about this "tool/device"???

Weird that my last post changed to tiny italics???It may not be new to you, but after seeing one in action and the results... I was impressed and intrigued. Seems like something we could produce on the cheap.

Ram wigglers! LOTS OF THEM! :dance:

You got it going on!(y):dance:

:whistle:Now the real deal:whistle:
IMO
First two weeks my brother!:fish2:
Too much written of the difficulty in this time.
This seems to just be universal with GBR?
Maybe others will say different?
Hoping you do better then myself during this period !(y)

:popcorn:

Well as of now I have at least 75% of the fry I started out with in my original spawn.

The methyl blue was amazing, I must have double the number of wigglers this time and no eggs lost to fungus.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've found that IAL in place of methylene blue works well. I don't know why. It then gives critters for fry to munch. If anyone wants to test out my theory on something other than cory eggs I'd be happy to send a few. I'm really curious to see the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've found that IAL in place of methylene blue works well. I don't know why. It then gives critters for fry to munch. If anyone wants to test out my theory on something other than cory eggs I'd be happy to send a few. I'm really curious to see the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd take a few leaves if I have something you want?

I collected leaves from a couple different sources(almost said 'outside'DUH!)
myself.
I have added MANY elm leaves to several tanks of adults and fry already!
Jumped in head first with more then one tank.
I soaked the leaves for 24 just to 'clean' them and threw then in tanks ranging from 5-75g!!

Major wiring and organizing at 'Ram Ranch' today while jamming to Poppas tunes!
Eggs and free swimmers this am.

Almost up to 100 juvis from this season(under 2 months old).

Lost all but 6 out of a 200-300 fry set!

ABC like Andy says........
Raising TDS to 120-150.
we will see.....:popcorn:

Two good links on leaf litter;
All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish

Leaf litter | The Skeptical Aquarist

How old are they / where are they when most of them die?
Leaves,fry,fish????

So a couple sets of eggs and one has poor hatch rate?
Will see on other 2?

Moved #1 Jhawk pair into 40b with the other Jhawks to make room for incoming fish.
I fear #1 female and another are all done!
#1 started to sit on bottom last week when IMO she should have been developing eggs!
Another female was also already starting this hangin/sitting behavior in the other 40b(where they all are now).
I have seen this before with my own GBR(aprox3% or 6 out of 200) and although they don't necessarily die(50/50) they NEVER recover....
Sorta sad on this myself:ermm:
I have researched this for over a year and best guess out there is flukes?
I have previously done a month long Prazi treatment program that showed no effect or improvement.:banghead:
This is truly a ram mystery(a quote from one link!!).:confused:
Any help on this is appreciated!!:thanks:
I am going to install sand I believe(very thin) as I think this is similar to bacteria issue with cories also.
One link I found basically said in general ram care that sand is way more important then many understand.
I think I am kind of leaning in this direction as I have no other clue nor does it effect all fish(not contagious at all IMO/IME{years}).
The flukes symptoms are almost 100% match except the survival rate and lack of spread to others???
I might even be willing to bite that sand passing through fish gills could prevent this if it is flukes or whatever???

So can I use 0000 sugar sand if I find some??
I'm not sure if this grain is intended for marine only?
I think I will even try this in fry tank/s??

It could be a similar relationship as corys and sand.

That sucks.... I was looking forward to seeing the results of long term line crossing between the 2 strains. Keep up the diligence, amigo.

It could be a similar relationship as corys and sand.

I really think there is something to this.
Kind sounds 'hokey' since so little is written and others do well without any of this jazz but?:oops:

I just don't know what else to try.
I think the rams are enjoying the leaf litter but not sure of any 'medical/antibacterial' impact of common leaves?

I really think it is opurtunistic bacterial infection from stress of breeding,maybe my own fault for not separating her??

Maybe a new strain/species of flukes???

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish I knew!:confused:
These are great fish!
For all my disease recognition and advice on treatment I offer ,
I honestly admit I never even took High School biology(10th grade).:eek:
Earth science and done with that!:facepalm:
The info I share is just a small bit of the knowledge any breeder should be able to find or know.
Disease recognition is key!
Even Brenna bought a pretty expensive disease book as one of her tools...
Like I said I have really researched this to my ability(not sharpest tool in shed:angel: but no dummy?:hide:) and can only watch or try 'far fetched' ideas??
Y'all ready for the quote;
If I knew then what I know now:whistle:
Still researching?

Back
Top Bottom