GBR spitting sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A few weeks ago I got a young pair of GBRs (~3months), they are about 4.5 months now. Ever since I got them they have picked up sand with their mouths then spit it out either via their gills or their mouth. They normally spit it out over a rock. If I clear the rock off they just cover it up again. They even did this when they were in my quarantine tank.

They are properly fed and very healthy. they are in a community tank with pristella tetras and two angelfish (50 cent sized). Water parameters are normal. Also this tank is established and cycled. its a 40 gallon breeder.

Is this normal behavior? does it indicate a problem?

I think it has something to do with them breeding as they lay eggs on flat surface but they like to clear the surface first? I'm probles wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere

I have also read that they clear a rock or other smooth surface to lay their eggs on, but why would they cover the rock up? Wouldn't they want to clear it?

I believe that is normal behavior for them to sift the sand for micro organisms and food. I think but not 100% sure that they are a subfamily of Geophaginae's or geophagus.

Yep if I am correct. The geophagus's I had did it 24/7 I have never had rams tho. Freakgecko on here would be the one to ask.

Thanks everyone! It does look lie they are "chewing" on the sand before they spit it out :)

here is a parting photo of the pair, pls excuse my poor camera skills and my brown water (new driftwood, didn't pre-soak it enough...)

Attachments

• DSCN1418.jpg
    DSCN1418.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom