GBR stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knowsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are these too fast and unnerving for a tank w/rainbows? Also are they fast enough that they'll induce schooling fish to school (cardinals and Siam Algee Eaters)?
Sean

GBR's will work absolutely perfect with rainbows, cardinals, SAE's, and more.

As for making other fish school, they are not aggressive to other fish. So getting them to school will need something a little bit more aggressive. GBR's are community and work well with most all tetras and other community fish.

I've always skipped over them in the store. I don't know why but I think I've just assumed that they'd be agressive w/the chilid look and all.
Cheers Sean

No, the dwarf cichlids are community. My Bolivians are a little more aggressive than the GBR's, but still do very well with all other tank mates.

Maybe I'll look into the Bolivians, they might generate the schooling. I gotta admit, I really like the GBR look. I've been missing out on some cool fish.
Cheers

GBR's are an awsome looking fish, yes. But they are also more susceptible to water conditions as well. A few members in AA have been having problems with them dying. So if you go with the Bolivians, they are a lot more hardy. I have Bolivians in my 29G with cardinals, bleeding hearts, serpae's, and blue flame tetras, and none really school much. The only aggression displayed by the Bolivians is the male chasing tetras out of their breeding area. Other than that, no threats.

Now if you are interested in fish that school much better, then I would have to say Rummynose Tetras. Mine are always together. Very seldom do they ever split up. Out of all the tetras I currently have, I would say they school the best. And for larger fish, my Roseline Sharks are excellent schoolers. But you need a bigger tank for them.

Back
Top Bottom