GBRs.. an observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
Since we've finally been able to keep GBRs alive and thriving, I've had a chance to observe their behaviors better and I've noticed something rather interesting. Now, I might be reading too much into this but I thought I'd lay it out there and see if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm just losing my mind (which is highly probable ;) )

As most folks know wolves are pack animals. Only the alpha pair breed and the pack cares for the pups. If any of the others breed, the alphas will kill the pups. This is natures way of insuring the pack has strong bloodlines. Or so they say.

I've been noticing with our GBRs we have what seems to be an alpha pair. The other 2 pairs will not spawn until the "alphas" have spawned. When the alphas notice the other pairs spawned, they will take turns picking and eating the eggs of the others.

I know GBRs aren't schooling fish, but is it possible they have a pack mentality? Or, as I stated above, am I just reading too much into what I'm seeing?

interesting theory, but I cant help Im just in the learning phase... ;)

I brought this up to the guys at my LFS yesterday when we were getting some Kribs for another tank. They looked at me with an amazed look and said that in their opinion it's highly possible. One went on to explain some species use a pecking order, which I see with our other cichlids, so he thinks I'm probably close to being on base with this observation.

Guess with such a small group it's hard to really tell for sure. Means I need more GBRs. You know, for learning purposes and all. ;)

I have seen what happens with two ram pairs caring for fry in the same tank it ends with the dominant pair stealing and raising fry and the death of the other pair.

Back
Top Bottom