Gecko questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I am rehoming my fire bellied toads and would like to get a reptile. I really want one that likes to be held and stays somewhat small. Bearded dragon is a no and I was looking at either a leopord gecko, anole or a crested gecko. Out of all those I would prefer a crested. My question is, wold it be okay in a ten gallon tank, or will I need to upgrade?

Like a lizard.. I don't think any animal would like to be held just some tolerate it...

Get a 20 and do a leopard i had 3 in a 40 and they did great together i loved my leopard

Pckerfreak44 said:
Do anoles like to be held? I heard that they don't

Anoles are not ones to be held. Too small and jumpy. If you are limited to a 10 gallon, 1 leopard gecko will be fine. Mine had plenty of room. And she liked to be handled.

Leopards would do good in a 10. You could have 2 normals in a 10 as long as theyre both f. I'm going to get some soon:)

Had an anole before, they can be handled, but in a split second they can also scurry away...which is horrifying especially if you try to grab them as they're running away by their tail, because... POP! They're break their tail right off and continue to run away from you.

I've heard good things about leopards. Keep us updated!

I had a leopard gecko till the ripe old age of 13 years old. he lived a long life, and was well loved. He had a great personality.

I wanted to get a leopard but I had a really hard time makin trips to petsmart every other day for my toads so I don't wanna have to deal with that again, mainly for the sake of the animal. Crested geckos can eat crested gecko diet and live off of that basically so I think they will be a better choice for me.

The solution to your cricket issue is to order them in bulk for 25$ and you get about 1000 of them. sure probably half die before you can use them, but I just keep mine in the garage in a huge plastic bin with airholes. I toss a few carrots in there from time to time, and it works.

If you have an ant issue, its an easy fix as well. Just get an extra lid, flip it upside down, and fill the lid with a powder to keep ants away, or cinnamon. The crickets get delivered to your door. I think you can even get them from petsmart or petco online. Just put a little note that says, DO NOT LEAVE IN SUN, and you are golden. This saves u a ton of headache, time, and is really easy. You do not even have to worry about breeding them, just keep giving them to your lizard/toad or whatever till you run out, or they die.

Crickets are expensive in the store. I have a bearded dragon myself, and he eats about 15-20 crickets a day. Sure crickets are 13 cents, but thats $2.60 a day! According to TV, I can feed like 4 overseas Sally Struthers families for that kind of dough! Anyway, get therm delivered, and it costs you 25$ per few months.

Aoles will be ok in the 10 I guess, but its really too small for any lizard.

Lexilove said:
Leopards would do good in a 10. You could have 2 normals in a 10 as long as theyre both f. I'm going to get some soon:)

I honestly believe that a Leopard Gecko needs a larger tank than a 10G. I had a male in a 55G and he ran around all over the tank. I had him for 6 years before rehoming him to someone for their birthday and he grew to be 8 1/2 inches and had three more after that two of which bred successfully. You can have two together but this is a hard task because Leopards are not sexually mature until they are about a year or so old so its hard to tell the sex of the Gecko, even same sex Geckos will compete for food.

Yeah I think I decided to go with crested. My bday on Friday and I asked everyone for petsmart gift cards :) so I can get a new tank and the gecko and everything I need. Quick question. Is. 10x10x12 exo terrarium big enough for one crested? Thanks for all your help guys

Back
Top Bottom