Gental Giants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone think of a freshwater fish that grows large (not to large) and can fit in a 75g that wont eat/harm small fish? I could just imagine it being real cool to have a large giant fish in the tank with small fish swimming around it. Just wondering if there is such a thing.

if it was a bigger tank i would say giant gourami

I actually thought of that. But actually a giant gourami will eat smaller fish but it depepnds on how they are raised. If you raise a giant gourami with other fish that eat things like shrimp and smaller fish then they will eat smaller fish too. But if you raise them with smaller fish like tetras they will have never learned that and won't do it and you can put them in with anything you want. But thank you.

I think the pecking order of fish is if it fits in their mouth they eat it. Although a Koi might be ok and they get huge. I had some koi in a tank with bala sharks and clown loaches. All were over 11 inches long. The koi were 18 inches. They got picked on by everyone else. I never saw them chase or harrass the other fish.

Koi are out the window, i don't like koi. But good idea even though koi need rather large tanks. I did not think of silver dollars but i am trying to make this a planted tank so i will skip those. Anything else?

If you get all the fish small together, sometimes as the larger fish grow they will magically leave the smaller ones alone. Its certainly a gamble though. My friend had a tank with a large bottom dwelling shark monstrosity. It might have been the red tail kind but it was albino I recall. Anyway it didn't bother any of the small tetras in the tank despite its huge size.

Ya, it is a gamble bt i REALLY want something like that.

So know one else can think of any fish?

I would suggest a Redfin Prochilodus, but they do become a bit nibbly for some plants. It would all depend. If you have hardy plants it would be fine. They are really beautiful fish. I also like the idea of silver dollars.

There is also some plecos. I am not the biggest fan but some like the Rio de Para Plecostomus are vegetarians and have very pretty colour.

And lastly, a bit unorthodox, but i loved the one my friend had....his name was BMG (for the blue man group). He was a blue knight lobster and he was around 12 inches long. They are omnivores and generally scavenge. They are really too slow to catch any fish and rarely try. They are beautiful creatures. My friends was electric blue and lived in a community tank of about 80g. From what I know they only show aggression towards other lobsters/crayfish.

What would the ideal adult size be? How small would the smaller fish be? Maybe an Elephant nose?

Honestly, it would probably be a normal community size tank. So i have no clue but i would assume tetra size, even though if push comes to shove then i might make it fish atleast a little larger then that, maybe the size of rummynose tetras (1 of my favirote tetras). Thanks, like the idea of the other 2 that kai said, might consider the blue lobster and the elephant fish, forgot about them and don't know why. But as for the Redfin Prochilodus that would be a no for this tank, owned them before and put them in a semi planted tank and my plants were in shreds. I kept him for a while in a tank with REALLY hardy plants but it was pretty bare.

this what i have in my tank 2 giant gouramis, 2 silver sharks, 1 plec, 2 angels, 1 discus, 2 kissing gouramis, 3 clown loaches, 2 pakistani loaches, 5 catfish all live in my 380 litre tank, all live in there together no problems with any of my fish , in my 4 tanks

this what i have in my tank 2 giant gouramis, 2 silver sharks, 1 plec, 2 angels, 1 discus, 2 kissing gouramis, 3 clown loaches, 2 pakistani loaches, 5 catfish all live in my 380 litre tank, all live in there together no problems with any of my fish , in my 4 tanks

I'm assuming they are still relatively small. What catfish do you have?

no not relly they have all been happily luiving in that tank for 6 years and all been happy, Corrys and albino. I have 4 tanks in my home, 1 big corner fish tank what they r in in,1 with genral fish in like platies etc they r in a 3 foot tank and 1 5foot marine tank, and 2 foot tank for fry from the tropicals for breeding purposes

no not relly they have all been happily luiving in that tank for 6 years and all been happy, Corrys and albino. I have 4 tanks in my home, 1 big corner fish tank what they r in in,1 with genral fish in like platies etc they r in a 3 foot tank and 1 5foot marine tank, and 2 foot tank for fry from the tropicals for breeding purposes

How big are the GG's? At six years old they should be about full grown. Any pics :D

what about a gold/red severum for the big fish. mine is verry calm but i think it might eat something like neons. why not discus or angels for the bigger fish?

Back
Top Bottom