Gental Giants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, i like large fish and i am now just getting antsy and i am wanting to throw it all to the wind and i am gonna put fish that get large in a 75g and hope i can upgrade later. But sadely i don't think that would be the greatest choice, so i most likely won't do that.

But i am deciding to maybe do fish like the butterfly fish and a leapord ctepoma. You know, a oddball tank. But then i would be stuck on what fish to put in the tank. I could put the butterfly fish and leapord ctepoma. Maybe some angelfish and a school of african knife fish, i also already have a festivum and a gouromi already. But then again i have to decide between the oddball tank and the community.

But besides that all i have found is maybe a elephant fish or a blue lobster.\

As of derailing my thread don't worry about it, i hate when people do that to. They give out miss information. But i still want to see those updated pics.

*EDIT*
This is why i don't think they are fully grown. #1 they don't look 2' long to me. #2 this is a juvi GG- http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwanabantoid&1255978201 or http://www.fishdeals.com/anabantids/gourami/giant_gourami/giant_gourami.jpg

and this is a adult - http://www.petfish.net/articles/pix/arts2/Gulliver.jpg or http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/anabantoids/images/GiantGouramyWFA_Ap4AAf1.jpg

And to me it looks more like the juvinile rather then the mature adult.

Honestly, i like large fish and i am now just getting antsy and i am wanting to throw it all to the wind and i am gonna put fish that get large in a 75g and hope i can upgrade later. But sadely i don't think that would be the greatest choice, so i most likely won't do that.

But i am deciding to maybe do fish like the butterfly fish and a leapord ctepoma. You know, a oddball tank. But then i would be stuck on what fish to put in the tank. I could put the butterfly fish and leapord ctepoma. Maybe some angelfish and a school of african knife fish, i also already have a festivum and a gouromi already. But then again i have to decide between the oddball tank and the community.

But besides that all i have found is maybe a elephant fish or a blue lobster.\

As of derailing my thread don't worry about it, i hate when people do that to. They give out miss information. But i still want to see those updated pics.

You won't see the updated pics because they do not exist :rolleyes:

Check out a Charrox Gibbosus.. they are sweet schooling oddballs (common name: Glass Headstanders) They even eat rosies in case you ever wanted to feed them live. They get about 6" or so, I kept them with Sun cats and a Hujeta gar (FW barracuda).

I had 3 that I lost to a bad case of ich.. These guys were awesome.

img_1042807_0_e0199db2f3f65dcd0315668fc6c29735.jpg

img_1042807_1_9782afc16b7f3cd0e6f7619faee2df39.jpg

Well you saw my reasoning factorboa, if not go back to my post i edited it.

As for the headstanders, i tried to get a pair of those when i had my other tank a while back and i could not find them worht the life of me. Do they do in schools? I also thought they were brackish but i guess not. Any more suggestions on cool oddballs for a 75g.

I am also considering a brackish tanks, plenty of cool fish in brackish. What do you think a minimul tank size for a dragon goby would be.

Ok several post were deleted. On this forum people are allowed To post their opinion without having someone flaming them. I removed the flaming post which was alot of them and encourage everyone to help out etunes with his question. Please stay on topic.

Well you saw my reasoning factorboa, if not go back to my post i edited it.

As for the headstanders, i tried to get a pair of those when i had my other tank a while back and i could not find them worht the life of me. Do they do in schools? I also thought they were brackish but i guess not. Any more suggestions on cool oddballs for a 75g.

I am also considering a brackish tanks, plenty of cool fish in brackish. What do you think a minimul tank size for a dragon goby would be.

Anyway, Etunes, Dragon Gobies will do fine in a 75g. Your best bet is to pick the main fish you want and chose tank mates based on that species.

Take the Dragon Gobies for instance. I devoted a 50g breeder (same footprint as your 75) to them a few years back. I kept the salinity at 1.010 (fluctuating between 1.008 and 1.012, as I hear this is good for brackish fish). I kept 5 Violet Gobies in the tank over a course of almost 3 years.

If you do multiple VG (Violet Gobies) give them each their own cave, PVC works great. A sandy substrate is also preferred as they are filter feeders. They love algae waefers (as you can see in my pic) and they also love wardleys shrimp pellets (wardleys will break up into very fine pieces which are easier for them to eat, just do not over feed as it will make a mess in the tank).

They can be somewhat territorial and aggressive during feeding so keep 1 or 3 or more, it's not recommended to keep only a pair.

Anyway, take a look at this article pufferpunk did, she did the article back when I was keeping these guys and used several of my photos.

DragonGoby Art Tyrell

Anyway, my pics of the "Dragon's Lair".. It had 5x Violet Gobies and 2x Clay Gobies, this combo worked great and the VG's did not have to compete for food. (I no longer own mudfrog.net so don't visit it, no clue what it is)

img_1042853_0_c181e4833a88c3755600577cfbdfee33.jpg

img_1042853_1_180be9ee60219016e190944acd48d859.jpg

img_1042853_2_cc502a19bcb57997c80e45707cbe9980.jpg

The Clay Goby

img_1042853_3_cd90a29216f18fa416541863acd169dd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So any other large/cool fish yuo can think of that would fit in a 75g? Because i know you have kept a LARGE variety of fish.

So any other large/cool fish yuo can think of that would fit in a 75g? Because i know you have kept a LARGE variety of fish.

Yea a bunch... but you tell me what your looking for in a fish and I'll suggest some more..

size, personality, etc

All of the above, see i do not know if i am going to do a large fish oddball tank yet, or a community tank yet. And now i am considering a brackish. So i want every suggestion i can get. I just want some interesting fish. I would especially like to know about some fish that are interesting and not often seen in community tanks. Because i am probably going to do a community tank at some point no matter what way i go. Also do you know anything about freshwater moray eels? I know they are brackish to full marine but but any info would help.

All of the above, see i do not know if i am going to do a large fish oddball tank yet, or a community tank yet. And now i am considering a brackish. So i want every suggestion i can get. I just want some interesting fish. I would especially like to know about some fish that are interesting and not often seen in community tanks. Because i am probably going to do a community tank at some point no matter what way i go. Also do you know anything about freshwater moray eels? I know they are brackish to full marine but but any info would help.

Never kept a FW moray but yes, they are brackish to full salt.

Have you looked into the Hujeta Gar? They are really cool fish.

Ya i have, they are cool. The only issue is i would definataly be scared to put them in with certain fish that i would want to keep if i did a oddball tank. Such as a butterfly fish.

get an angry giant. like, a wolf cichlid. just kidding. the best gentle giant is those big plecos. those guys are awesome looking fully grown.

Hujeta's would work fine with Butterfly Fish, Hujeta's grow really slow and have a max size of what 10" or so? The butterfly will get to 6" or so and will not be edible.

If I knew my Red wolf wouldn't eat a small Hujeta I'd pick up a couple more.

How about a lungfish? They are usually sold at 8-10 inches starting off.

They also are known of eating anything that pumps there snout. It is not safe to even stick them with larger fish most of the time.

Anyway, Etunes, Dragon Gobies will do fine in a 75g. Your best bet is to pick the main fish you want and chose tank mates based on that species.

Take the Dragon Gobies for instance. I devoted a 50g breeder (same footprint as your 75) to them a few years back. I kept the salinity at 1.010 (fluctuating between 1.008 and 1.012, as I hear this is good for brackish fish). I kept 5 Violet Gobies in the tank over a course of almost 3 years.

If you do multiple VG (Violet Gobies) give them each their own cave, PVC works great. A sandy substrate is also preferred as they are filter feeders. They love algae waefers (as you can see in my pic) and they also love wardleys shrimp pellets (wardleys will break up into very fine pieces which are easier for them to eat, just do not over feed as it will make a mess in the tank).

They can be somewhat territorial and aggressive during feeding so keep 1 or 3 or more, it's not recommended to keep only a pair.

Anyway, take a look at this article pufferpunk did, she did the article back when I was keeping these guys and used several of my photos.

DragonGoby Art Tyrell

Anyway, my pics of the "Dragon's Lair".. It had 5x Violet Gobies and 2x Clay Gobies, this combo worked great and the VG's did not have to compete for food. (I no longer own mudfrog.net so don't visit it, no clue what it is)

img_1043814_0_c181e4833a88c3755600577cfbdfee33.jpg

img_1043814_1_180be9ee60219016e190944acd48d859.jpg

img_1043814_2_cc502a19bcb57997c80e45707cbe9980.jpg

The Clay Goby

img_1043814_3_cd90a29216f18fa416541863acd169dd.jpg

How big did yours get in the 75?

Reason I'm curious is because we have a brackish 80 with 1 DG. We would really like more in there (since our 1 really likes to hide. Only seen him once since buying him 3 or so weeks ago), but from researching, one to every 50g was recommended. And some get to be over 24inches.

How big did yours get in the 75?

Reason I'm curious is because we have a brackish 80 with 1 DG. We would really like more in there (since our 1 really likes to hide. Only seen him once since buying him 3 or so weeks ago), but from researching, one to every 50g was recommended. And some get to be over 24inches.

The largest one was 14" or so. I've seen importers bring some in over 20" but it's not real common. They don't "mind" company, just better to have more than 2.

Back
Top Bottom