Gentamicin dose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummm... What form of that are you using...
No wait, it doesn't really matter... Don't use it at all, get something else.
That is some seriously hardcore stuff and even a tiny bit too much or one too many doses and your fish are screwed.

I got some from work :D I can dilute and titrate it but I don't know the dose. I know the powdered form is sold for fish.

Do Not Use It... Period!

There is crap loads of scientific research showing irreparable harm and death in fish.

Your fish, I'll not say another word.

Thanks for your input ChileRelleno.

I have read about its toxicity when administered intravenously in too great a dose but nothing when it's dissolved in the water (have you read anything on that?). I am curious to know if anyone has attempted it in water and the results since it is being sold. No worries I won't be trying it on my fish until I am convinced of its non-toxicity in appropriate use.

What are you trying to treat??

Chile - I am not aware of specific toxicity of gentamicin in fish. <ie not the usual renal & oto toxicity that you see in all humans when overdosed.> I would be interested in reading the source .... might learn a thing or 2.

I have not use gent in fish. Normally, I use antibiotics in food. I have dosage & recipes for goldfish, but not for livebearers.

Kanamycin is considered the best one for fish, and the dosage is 26-66 mg/l.
Aquavet - KANAMYCIN

In vitro tests would suggest that gent is ~3x more active than kanamycin:
Comparative Activity of Sisomicin, Gentamicin, Kanamycin, and Tobramycin
So in the absence of other evidence, I would try 1/3 the kanamycin dose.

Note that this is a conjecture. This is suitable as a starting dose for experimentation. I am not sure you want to experiment with your own fish!!

Note also that gent has too narrow a spectrum to be used without cultures. Personally, I would use Clindamycin instead (if I were to use an aminoglycoside). <Or just go buy Kanamycin - at least there is support for its use in Vet literature!>

EDIT:
Found this at the University of Florida:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa084
The article specifically state that gentamicin is NOT effective in treating fish as a bath. They suggest you go use kanamycin instead! (preferably in food).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom