German Blue Ram Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is possible that the area she is laying in is her chosen spawning site. Since she is quickly following the male when prodded, it would appear that they have chosen each other, he knows where she is and summons her when necessary. Keep an eye on this. You may have some eggs real soon.

Well, something is definitely going on. The male is pushing my girl around more than normal. He actually touched the front of his face to the side of her body and pushed her half way across the tank like that. I am going to be totally watching these two more closely now.

Meredith said:
Well, something is definitely going on. The male is pushing my girl around more than normal. He actually touched the front of his face to the side of her body and pushed her half way across the tank like that. I am going to be totally watching these two more closely now.

This is the same thing happening to by Bolivian pair. What is going on ?.

The shy Ram again started to hide these days... Also it shop eating for the last two days... please help... I took it out of the tank and keeping in my 10gal to keep a close watch...

Jchillin said:
Did you just move him today? Try to give him food and see what happens. Any change in his coloring?

It looks pale.. almost transparent... what is going on.. tried to feed some Brine shrimp... looks like it is eating.. but not fully interested.. only proding..

I would say he is definitely stressed. I would keep any lights you have on the tank off, and do small daily partial water changes. Like maybe 2 gallons a day. And do give him a cave or some broad leafed plants to hide under. And just keep an eye on him. I hope he will be ok.

Meredith said:
I would say he is definitely stressed. I would keep any lights you have on the tank off, and do small daily partial water changes. Like maybe 2 gallons a day. And do give him a cave or some broad leafed plants to hide under. And just keep an eye on him. I hope he will be ok.

Ok. I will do some PWC.. also I will try to get some hiding place for him. He has a hiding place in his old (29gal) tank.. but never used it..

The parents ate them after about 2 days. I have yet to have another spawn. Although i think they are in the process of selecting a new spawning site.

cinciboy said:
Meredith said:

Ok. I will do some PWC.. also I will try to get some hiding place for him. He has a hiding place in his old (29gal) tank.. but never used it..

Today I found that the Ram is gasping for air on the top of the aquarium.. I took it out and put it along with some melafix in the bowl. Keeping a close watch.. It is not eating anything (atleast when I look or feed). Any suggestions..

So i'm experimenting with co2 in a bare unoccupied tank. I'd like to starting injecting co2 in my ram's tank to fight the algea and lower the ph a bit, but i'm concerned about the shift in ph.

In less than 24 hours the ph dropped from 7.6 to ~7.2. I'm worried that if i start injecting co2 in the ram tank, the ph will drop to suddenly and it will aversly effect my finally settled in rams.

Also i've been considering changing out the substrate in that tank for one that would be more beneficial to the plants and not alter the ph like my current cheap-o gravel.

Thoughts?

On second thought, i bet the ph dropped so much because there were no plants in that bare tank to consume the co2.

You are correct mumrah...the drop was due to nothing being in the tank to consume to excess. Good catch. The substrate doesn't matter in the least. So long as your parameters (kh, PO4, NO3, etc.) are in balance, you shouldn't have to worry about a ph drop.

Talloulou - Great pic. I love to see when Rams do that. Means that they are healthy and establishing dominance. :)

Back
Top Bottom