German Blue Ram Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the high finned rams are blue rams. they are also called "balloon rams". my LFS had some, but they took horrible care of them so i didn't buy any.

those fish do indeed look sweet! i wish they weren't so rare, or i would have some

Whenever we get rare fish up here I tend to be suspect. We aren't exactly located in the hub of the fish world. They did look beautiful with long flowing fins but were pale and generally unhealthy looking.

SeymourFRESH said:
WOW lonewolfblue, your rams look amazing! what kind of camera did you take those with?

I have a Nikon D70s Digital SLR. 18-70mm lens. I also have a 70-300mm lens and a 600-2000mm lens with it. Also has a 6GB Microdrive.

Jchillin said:
Dude_living_insanely_close_to_great_lfs said:
And the best part, Village Pets is only a 5 minute walk from my house.

You are indeed fortunate LWB. (y)

Also, one of her suppliers has their own truck. So the fish come direct from the coast to here, and not sitting out in a UPS truck somewhere getting beat around. Should have seen her last shipment of angels, they were awsome looking, compared to ones she got from the other source and were shipped UPS. The only problem is they only come once a month. So she has to order from the source to keep supplies up til the next shipment from them. They get new fish weekly.

I just noticed 2 of my Bolivians mouthing each other. I believe it's the 2 males too. Is that how they show dominance as to who gets the lady?

Updated pics, I've gone crazy I think LOL.

1001704.jpg

1001703.jpg

1001702.jpg

1001701.jpg

Zagz said:
That's a gorgeous pic LWB! What kind of lighting do you have on that tank?

You really want to know? hehehehe......

I have 2 260W CF's. I'm running 4 65W 12000k bulbs, 2 65W 6400k bulbs, and 2 65W actinics. 390W total plus 130W actinics.

For a better camera - EBAY. :)

Should see my pics straight out of the camera at 3007x2000 pixels and 300dpi. Totally awsome camera.

Well an update on my GBR's. They have become rather friendly lately. They come up to the glass whenever I walk up to the tank. Their colors are coming out and they love their feeding time. No shyness whatsoever in this tank!

A pic showing their colors and my pleco got into the shot. He is an unusual color as well.

1001765.jpg

Cool.....
They know who their best buddy is.... :)

Mine always come out when I'm around. The Bolivians also. And even the BN Plecos. They know I drop vegi wafers in, lol. And yesterday, the sailfin came out when I walked up with the wafers.

I just had the most interesting experience. I was playing with my baby male GBR, and his head turned the brightest red I ever seen, lol. Wish I had the camera then. By the time I got my camera, he was back to normal. I would have my hand below the tank, and he would swim up to me. Then I would move my hand up with my finger by him, and he'd back up, then lower my hand and he'd come back to the glass. Did it several times, and then he started turning red, lol. But it didn't last long, was back to normal colors within 30 seconds and couldn't get him to do it again, lol.

Edit:
Just so you know how big he is, he's over 1/2 inch, but less than 3/4 inch. So he's just a baby. My baby girl is the same size. :)

Gosh, I wish you could have gotten a pic of that, it sounds truly amazing. Depending on what was going on in his mind you were either a deadly enemy or a member of his family. :D

He's also the bossman in the tank, lol. When feeding time, even the other GBR's 3 times his size gets chased away, lol. Him and the baby girl have to be the first fed, lol.

Worried about my GBR

I've had my GBR for almost 3 weeks now in my 46 gal, looks like 2 females and a male if the very pink belly is an indication of a female.

Well, they paired up, and the pair is absolutely terrorizing the other female. The color on this female is very pale compared to the other two and she spends all day being chased mostly by the paired female.

Is this normal behavior? It seems like the outcast is always swimming against the glass trying to get out or get away. They brought ich into my tank so I've been at 88 degrees for almost 2 weeks now, maybe they would be spawning if it wasn't so hot so this won't be as bad when the temp goes back down.

Well, yes, it's normal behaviour. There's not enough swimming space. I found this out with my Bolivians. In the 75G they did fine, as the tank is so wide. But my 29G isn't near as wide. So if they keep terrorizing her, may want to move her out or bring back to the lfs, or a friend. And yes, does sound like they are getting ready to possibly spawn.

As for the GBR's, they do better in warmer water anyways. 88 degrees is within their temp zone. If you have other fish with them, you may want to only bring the temp down to 81-82 degrees. They do better, and show better coloring in warmer water.

Back
Top Bottom