German blue rams!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright, i have a 55 gallon with a pair of kribs and was wondering if i got two male and two female gbr's would everything be at peace in the tank?

i personally don't know anything about gbrs, but i'm sure if you wait a few days or a week someone who knows something will send you some words. sorry.

I don't know about the kribs being compatible but gbrs are very territorial. You will need lots of cover and hiding places for them. I had two for a short time (they were Asian and apparently were doomed from the beginning) and they would chase each other out of the slate cave I have. I had to go out and buy more slate to make another, after that they were fine, they had their own territories.

I'm sure some others will chime in as far as the kribs.. any other tank mates?

alright, i have a 55 gallon with a pair of kribs and was wondering if i got two male and two female gbr's would everything be at peace in the tank?

Ok endaeau12, just to put this out there now, you'll not always get a response right away, you don't have to get all mad either because no one is responding a day later. Some of my post don't get responded to for a week or sometimes longer. If you feel that no one is responding to the thread, post another time on your thread saying something like -bump-. Which means you are making your thread visible once again towards the top of the list on the main forums page.

Now to answer your question.

They will normally be find together, since all are dwarf peaceful type cichlids, but since they are cichlids they will always have some territoral blood in them. Since you will be having pairs aswell, they will want to breed, and that is were the territoral side comes out. The fish will be fighting each other defending their spot, and defending their young if they reach it that far. I'm not going to say nothing bad is going to happen because i'm sure some of your fish might get killed because of their ways. You can try it out if you want, that's not really up to anyone but you. All i'm doing is warning you from experience that cichlids (even the peaceful ones) will get very very aggresive.

I'd go with one pair of rams and a pair or trio of kribs. That being said I'd add another female krib and get only a single pair of rams. 55g tanks suck for more than 2 pairs of rams unless you have the tank overloaded with them (talking about ~20 or so rams) and then there is too much going on and it'd be fine if you kept up with water changes. That's only for growing them out though.

i think im going to base my ideas of off bs6749's, if i get two gbr's and three kribs, will the krib lady's fight with eachother. and what other fish could hangle this tense environment?

The kribensis females will probably keep to different side of the tank or as far apart as the pair of rams will allow. I'd make sure you have enough caves for the females. Small clay flower pots make excellent and cheap caves. They look nice in my opinion as well. Are you looking for fish in addition to the rams and kribs? If so, I'd suggest a BN pleco or two since it's recommended to keep 1 per 20 gallons. I'd also recommend two different schools of fish. One would be either neons or cardinals and the other something like rummynose tetras, black neons, rasboras, etc. Then I'd get 7 or so hatchetfish for the upper level of the tank. You could even add 4 angelfish if you wanted. You have many options with a 55g. Look into apistos as well unless you are set on rams and kribs. A trio of apistos would go well but only if you get rid of the kribs or rams. A half dozen or more cories could go nicely in the bottom of the tank as well.

personally, i cant stand cory's haha, idk why. i really have my mind set on a jurupari (geophagus) but im not 100% yet. im waiting for my fish guy to get his order in. but i really want the kribs and rams. ill put on a picture of my tank

372945393_1286837796_0.jpeg

372944433_1286834246_0.jpeg

372945152_1286836909_0.jpeg

372947379_1286845306_0.jpeg

372947501_1286845745_0.jpeg

one more question. i have a red tailed shark and a firemouth. im getting rid of the fire mouth but im unsure if the shark can stay. should i keep the redtail? and if i decide to change my gbr idea with the apisto. three kribs and three apisto's would be fine. i think i might want some angels to. are there any smaller angels, like dwarfs. and im probably going to throw in 4 to 6 tetras or rasboras of somesort. just tell me what you think. thanks in advance

the list:
4 angel fish
3 kribensis
3 apistos or 2 gbr's
1 clown pleco
1 or 2 geophagus jurupari

Back
Top Bottom