German Ram Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

augustjd123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have experience breeding German Blue Rams? I have a pair that spawned once but the eggs were eaten by snails. Any ideas on how to help them be more successful parents?

GBR's are terrible parents. If you want to raise the fry you should do it only with tankmates who won't eat the eggs or fry.

We bought a 20 long with sand substrate for our gbr pair to live in with no other tank mates, since we could never get the eggs to live past the first night. Sadly both of our rams died before we could move them to the new tank after it's cycle. Now it's a temporary home for 6 cpds.

I've read they usually kill the first several spawns until they become more experienced.

Sent from my iPhone

My plan was NO tank mates. These guys are so delicate I didn't want to stress them too much by having to defend the nest.

In the tank they spawned in I had:
Angels
Danios
Amano shrimp
Snails
Khuli loaches.

My angels and rams seemed to hang out when not spawning but I can't be sure of what happened to all the eggs so I think if you're serious about breeding I would give them their own space. Again, I've killed 8 gbrs in a 2.5 month period so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone

Anyone else have advice

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you pull the eggs and raise them without the pair? Then have breeding stock that are aclimated to your way and conditions of doing things. I don't know but sounds like conditions aren't prime. Good luck and good breeding!!! PS I mean to say conditions just off abit.

If you want to raise fry you'll need to set up a fry tank and research proper fry raising. It's very difficult with gbrs..you'll need an hour a day set aside for those Lil guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand most young/new pairs are more uptight so you got the first part (laying eggs) take your time they will do you right!!!

Back
Top Bottom