Getting a 55 gallon and very confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok.....I'm jumping back into the tropical fish hobby after about a 15 year or so lay-off. I've talked my wife into us getting a 55 gallon aquarium and plan on setting it up as a community tank with fish types yet to be determined.
I've been reading much in the area of filtration and have to admit, the more I read and research the more confused I'm becoming. Do I or do I not need/want an UGF????? or RUGF???? My 'old' 55 gallon setup which I got rid of years ago had a UGF powered by airstones with a Dynaflow hang on power filter. This seemed to work ok but I will admit that the UGF did look very 'gunky' after a period of time, and I had to wonder about it's effectiveness. Now, I know that having a biological bed established is important ,and I was all set on going with another UGF and supplementing it with possibly an AquaClear 70or Penquin 330 biowheel until I starting reading more on the Net. It seems like UGF's are now being viewed as 'old-school' and more of a hinderance than they are worth....hmmmm, then I thought maybe I could just use the AquaClear 70 or Penguin 330 Biowheel....more reading and more confusion as I've also seen reference to also having a sponge filter in this scenario. Now I'm to the point that I'm considering a RUGF and the AquaClear 70. Can anyone make this a bit easier???? or is at simply a matter of it depends on who you ask?!?
Also, the 1 or 2 heater debate is another concern. For a 55 gallon tank, does it make sense to have 2 heaters??
Ahhhh....soooo many questions. Thanks for any advide/assistance.

alan

2 smaller heaters sounds like a good idea. Remember, a heater can break with the thermostat in the on or off position. If it fails in the on position, a big heater could really warm up that tank before you catch it. If it fails in the off its no big deal because the other one will keep things going until you can get a new heater.

Well, an UGF is oldschool, not many people here will advice you to get one. I would personally go for a canister filter. But there are other options of which I'm sure someone with more technical experience can point out for you.
I believe the main reason for advising against the ugf or rugf is that the gunk that collects is not good for your tank's health. There are other filter types that do a much better job.

The 1 or 2 heater thing is just a safety measure I think. If you get 2 heaters and one fails, your tank won't be an icebox if you notice it too late.

Welcome to AA!!!!! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
:wave:

I despise UGFs, and avoid them like the plague. I have not tried a reverse flow, however.

I have found hang ons to work very well.

I would put two heaters in, for more even heat, and in case one of them stops.

[center:2323d8adae] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, apotocki!! :n00b: [/center:2323d8adae]

For all my tanks 29 gal and up, I use canister filters. They are quiet and easy to maintain. I only have one heater in each tank right now.

Ok...Thanks for the quick responses.

If I choose to forego the UGF altogether, will I achieve 'enough' bio filtration by using one of the better HOB filters like an AquaClear 70 or Penguin 330 or will/should I plan on supplementing them with another form like a sponge?

The 2 heater idea seems logical for the reasons of heat distribution and back-up.....I'll most likely go with that set-up.

Right now, the tank will most likely have 5-6 groups of small-medium sized fish like tetra's, danios, cory's, etc.......but I'm sure I'll ask for input on that when the time comes.

Thanks again

Alan

for my 75, I was using a Tetra 40 on one side and a Tetra 60 on the other, I've since replaced the tetre 40 with a Fluval 304 (I'm impressed on the lack of noise). Penguins get noisey if the water line drops below the output (water splashing) but that's preference.

2 Filters has many advantages, even filtration, redundancy (it buys you some time if one fails) and also it will allow more "even" filter maintenance (no massive loss of Biological bacteria)

It has one drawback, twice the media to replace and about 75% more cost.

Multiple smaller heaters has other benefits, if one fails in the "on" position, it's less likely to make a fish stew quickly. :twisted:

I don't care for the look of Sponge filters, they are great for quarentine tanks and breeding tanks, but not a show tank IMO.

Hi Alan!
Welcome to AA... :wave:

I know you aren't thinking fish yet....but consider a group of Rainbowfish (5-7) and a dwarf gourami as your centerpieces. (maybe add some otos or cory cats for the bottom/algae) Just my 2 cents....it's all individual preference.

It has one drawback, twice the media to replace and about 75% more cost.
Rinsing the media in used tank water works great. I have not replaced any media in any of my tanks. I am almost ready to replace a cartridge in one of the HOB filters simply because it is falling apart. There is no reason to through the media away.

This pic is looking down at a canister filter. All the ceramic media allows for tons of bacterial growth. Mechanical filtration is done with some large sponges. Canister filters are great because they have baskets for different media. If you wanted to add charcoal, or floss you could. All the baskets in my canisters are filled with the ceramic media.

Attachments

• viaaqua_166.jpg
    viaaqua_166.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 477
I definately would not even consider an undergravel filter. About 8 years ago I removed undergravel filters from 48 aquariums all at once. I had no negative experiences as a result, other than some sludge to clean out of the aquariums. Having planned this move, every aquarium had a sponge filter or Penguin biowheel running for 6 weeks prior to the remove of the u/g filters.

Today, I use Penguin biowheel HOB filters on every tank I set up which is >20 gallons. I use sponge filters on tanks <=20 gallons. I have never had a problem with the Penguins, but you do need to replace evaporation on a regular basis, as the water splash is a bit louder than with some other HOB units. However, the bio filtration with a Penguin is incredible and well worth the effort of adding back evaporated water 2 times per week.

That being said, I have used sponge filters in outdoor ponds >2000 gallons without any biological problem at all. I have also filtered a 90 gallon aquarium and a 120 gallon indoor pond with sponges. So long as you decorate appropriately, perhaps disguising the sponge inside a cave, then the appearance will not be an issue. Sponges have the advantage of being very inexpensive.

Either way, you should be fine. Good luck,

Mark

apotocki,
Here is a link for an online fish seller describing the benefits of the bio-wheel hob filter. Note this website only sells fish, no filters. Impressed me. http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/bio-wheel_filters.htm

Anyway, I have the Penguin 125 on my only tank, a 20 gallon. It has basically no maintenance. I only change the filter cartridge every so often and that is it. As far as the noise, I have never really noticed. It does cause a little evaporation, and the ripple of the water gets a little louder, but not really noticeable. I have never had any dealings with a cannister filter so I cannot compare, but the splashing of the water is really peaceful, not annoying. I always thought that was what a fish tank sounded like. :lol: Soon I will be getting a 55 gallon and I am going to go with the larger emperor 330 when I get the tank. Hope that helps.

Ahhhh...the saga continues. Tonight, I visited my LFS that deals only with fish and supplies. I spoke with the 'owner' and asked about filtration......his immediate response was you need a UGF along with another form of fitration. I inofmred him of my research that was indicating that UGF was maybe not needed (actually could be more trouble) and his response was.....look at all the tanks in this store, I have over 75 FW tanks that have used UGF for over 6 years and never had ANY problems.......I questioned him on the real need if I chose a bio-wheel type of filter like a Emperor 400 or Penguin 350.......His reply was that they would NOT provide aqeduate bio-filtration, the ideal set-up wouolld use a UGF.
OK......I'm still confused over what to do.....the more I research and question, the worse it gets!
I guess that the good part is that I have decided on a 60 gallon tank!......

Alan

His reply was that they would NOT provide aqeduate bio-filtration, the ideal set-up wouolld use a UGF.
bull
With a tank that large, I would go with a canister and fill all the baskets with ceramic media. Tons of biofiltration there!

Menagerie - Thank you for the information. I thought about a canister (like a Fluval 404) and still pondering it. The 'issue' that I have is that I guess I'm not comfortable with my knowledge (lack of) with this type of filter........as in the past I've had HOB cartridge style filters. With a canister type, will this accomplish all my needs? or will I also have to have some sort of supplemental filter? You mention filling the baskets with ceramic media.....will that also provide the mechanical/chemical that I'd also need? or can I/should I go with some ceramic and some other media in the canister? Sorry for all the questions but I really need to be educated in all aspects of a canister style filter.
The other factor that I'm also looking at is cost....a good quality HOB is about half the cost of a canister.

Alan

I agree with the canister filtration units. They keep all of your filtration hidden and are virtually noise free. The canisters do tend to cost quite a bit more, BUT, they are easy to maintain and you don't have to look at the hob every time you look at the tank. I guess it's just preferences, some are more comfortable with the hob and the same with canister lovers. I personally have a hob on the 10, and 5 gal and a canister on the 55 and it is so much easier to deal with the 55.

Regarding the UGF, do not purchase one of these. I have one in the 10 that needs to be taken out ASAP because they do not look nice and they don't seem to provide any benefit. It's sole purpose is to be in the way when I do pwc's.

What type of fish are you looking for?

you have a good understanding of the subject. dont fear a canister because you have never used one. If the cost isn't an issue, get one. It will take less than five minutes for you to understand it, a little longer to install it. A fluval comes with enough media for you to get started, yet has room to add more after it is working, so you don't have to decide your final plan before you set it up . You get all three, mechanical, chemical,and biological filtration with a canister. If cost is an issue, you are correct in that you can get two HOB for the price of one canister. Both HOB and canisters work great and are all the filtration you need. Skip the UGF.

The UGF will simply be a pain while you're trying to decorate the tank. Even if you think you won't want plants or anything, you never know... and UGF's aren't great for that. Plus... they aren't good. :D

I am not mechanically gifted. However, I can sucessfully disconnect and clean the canister filters!! I know they cost more, but with the extra media they hold and the quietness they provide, they are worth every penny.
The mechanical filtration is done with large sponges. The biological filtration is done with the media you put in the baskets. I do not use chemical filtration. If you wanted to add charcoal, that could be put in one of the baskets. Some members like to put floss in the last basket to give their water a crystal clear shine. recently, I added crushed coral to one of the baskets to give my African cichlids a bit higher pH and water hardness. The flexibility that comes with canisters is great. Canisters also do a wonderful job of aggitating the water's surface. I am not a believer in using a canister and HOB, just a larger canister if needed!

Well....I was planning on going to another LFS today but we are in the middle of a snowstorm expecting 8-12 inches.......
Thanks to all of your input, I'm 90% sure that I'm going to go with a canister for the 60 gallon tank I'm planning for. Now, I only need to decide on brand/size.....wondering if a Fluval 404 would suffice? and, will I need something to circulate water or will be canister do a good enough job?
As to fish........ahhhhh, another saga as to trying to figure out what type of type I want. I know I have plenter of time, however, I do know that I'm interested in a tank that is not 'cluttered' with a whole bunch of different species. I want a colorful tank that is interesting to look at and has sort of a theme.
Right now, I toying with a couple (few?) angels, maybe about 12 cardinal tetra's, a couple (few?) Blue rams, 2 corys, and maybe 2-3 clown loaches......as to the angels and blue rams, I'm not sure how many of each. How does this sound?
Any other ideas or input is appreciated. I'm finding this forum VERY helpful and interesting!
Thanks to everyone!
Alan

If you want color and not clutter, look into rainbows. Cories and loaches like to be in groups of 3+.
The Fluval 404 pushes 340 gph. For a 60 gal tank, that is a 5x turnover, which some people would say it too little. According to Fluval, the 404 is rated for a 100 gal tank :roll: Personally, I think the 404 would be fine if you stick with "cleaner" fish (no goldfish or large cichlids).

Back
Top Bottom