Getting a free 29g with fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deep Seven

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been planning an aquarium for a long time now but haven't had fish in decades (had a freshwater tank as a teenager). I have acquired quite a bit of equipment in the way of tanks, pumps, and heaters.

I recently acquired a 55g tank which ended up being useless for what I wanted to do. A friend of mine offered to give me his 29g tank including fish. From his description I think they need a bigger tank. To that end I'm planning on putting the fish in the 55g tank.

My first step is to build a new stand for the 55g tank, then in a week or two move the fish from my friends place into the new tank.

This is my first experience with handling live aquarium fish in decades so any advice or suggestions would be awesome.

My plan is to move the fish and the bulk of the water from the 29g in buckets. I plan to collect the gravel, lightly rinsed in old tank water, in an alternate bucket. I will add the gravel and any filter media to the new tank.

I'm not sure the best course of action to take to add the fish and top up the 55g.

I'm thinking of setting up the 55g with the extra gravel needed and 20g of prime treated water a day or two before moving the fish over. Then add water from the fish bucket to the new tank, and siphon the water back into the fish bucket to acclimatize them (making sure water parameters are similar, eg temperature and hardness). If everything is going smooth after doing that a few times then add the fish and the bucket of water to the tank.

On a side note I plan to add a few plants, either before or after adding the fish.

If your using everything from your friends tank such as filter and substrate, etc. you should be just fine. The aquarium BB is already sufficent for the stock, assuming it's an established aquarium. Go ahead and add the substrate from the 29 with more as needed to cover the bottom. Fill half with dechlorinated water and water from the 29. I don't know what filter it's going to come with but it won't suffice for a 55. I suggest getting an aquaclear 70 AND keeping the 29 filter. OR get an aquaclear 110 but put all the media in from the 29. As long as everything from the 29 is going in the 55 you should essentially be cycled for the stock already. Just keep an eye on water parameters for a few weeks just in case. Get an API FW master test kit. Long run is cheaper than strips and much more reliable. What fish does it come with?

I'm not entirely sure what fish the tank is coming with. I think one of them is a pleco, and one of them looks like a sturgeon, but beyond that I'm not sure yet, he's supposed to send me pictures. I believe this tank has mostly large fish with 4-6 occupants. This tank has been up and running for years I believe. He used to have a large goldfish as well but it died, he thinks it possibly died from outgrowing his tank.

I have a hagen master test kit. I have API nexx filter (rated for 55g), with an extension (adds +55g capacity). I have aquaclear 50 (purchased for 29g).

I'm not sure yet exactly what equipment the 29g tank comes with. I am thinking I will add the filter media from the 29g to the nexx filter when I get the 55g running. The nexx has lots of space to add media.

Be ready to dig a pond for that sturgeon up to 4,000 g along with a chiller ( that depends on where ya live) theses are huge fish. I really hope it's not though so I wish ya luck. If it is a sturgeon then try to donate it to a local aquarium.

lol, from what I understand it "looks" like a sturgeon, but it's something else :). I'll know more when I see it. I'll add lots of pictures for proper ID.

and he never asked his wife for permission to give me his tank, and when he mentioned it she said no.

Just need a small repair on the cross brace, a leak test, some minor adjustments to the new tank stand, and I'm ready to set up. Probably start fishless cycle with a few plants until I decided what to put in it.

It's a bit roomy for dwarf puffers but I might go that route.

Back
Top Bottom