Getting a free 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh the poor guy!! Yes, the other 2 will recognize weakness & illness and harass him as well they have had the majority of the tank to themselves so its now 'their' territory. The next time you try this, place the two healthier goldfish in a pasta colander in the tank before removing the divider. Then leave them in there for a couple of hours while your other goldie explores(supervised to make sure no one jumps out). I use a a small plastic mesh laundry-type basket (size of large pot) I got from the dollar store because its deep compared to a pasta colander & I dont have to worry about anyone jumping. Keep giving the bad boys 'timeouts' when ever you see them acting up (a few hrs to a whole day). Hopefully, they will get the big picture sooner rather than later. Hope this helps!

I think he is taking a turn back into illness. I woke up this morning, and both of his eyes have begun to get cloudy. He also looks skinnier.. :(

He is still eating, but I don't think this medicated food is strong enough. The worst part about it is that all week I'm working 14 hour days... Hard for me to do anything for him. Right now my gf is feeding him.

Late last night I looked on Craigslist for 10g tank to quarantine. But I have no time to get it until next week. I'm hoping my gf will help me out with that one as well.

What should be the next course of action? Srry no pics because I'm back at work.. I'm thinking of quarantine, and medicate with something stronger, but what should I use?

thank you... my gf has already accepted that she may lose her favorite fish, but I'm not giving up.

Oh no! Ok- if you want a cheap qt, hit walmart. You can get a plastic storage bin (10-20g) & an inexpensive filter cheap unless your gf helps out by picking up the cl tank. We need to know what meds are listed on the med food you tried to advise further because I am not personally familiar with this brand. Qt & treating further is your best option right now. It sounds like he has a few issues happening now but the weight loss may be related to the med food not being quite as nutritious. Let us know & we will figure out the next course to take.

in the ingredients, I'm not really sure what's the medicine is so here's a photo.

Attachments

• image-2462965334.jpg
    image-2462965334.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 100
so I did a late night run to Walmart for a 10 gallon qt tank.

I'm not quite sure what medicine to use next, but I did found this while I was there.

Jungle Parasite clear fizz tabs.. I have not added any yet, I'd like to hear your thoughts first.

thank you

Attachments

• image-637427755.jpg
    image-637427755.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 71
Thanks! The parasite clear tabs treat parasites- a bacterial infection is your primary issue here that needs to be addressed. Do you have a petsmart near you? They dont carry the best antibiotics but we can try treating with what they do have & see what happens. You want to get Maracyn & Maracyn 2 (both of them)- they can be safely combined. Treat according to the directions but you will need to keep his water healthy in qt. If your doing regular water changes, try to do them around the same time every day so the meds are in the water for a full 24hrs before redosing. Expect to have to treat for a minimum of 10days- I know the box only suggests treating for 5 days but this simply is not long enough course for antibiotics to be fully effective. If you want to order a more powerful antibiotic while waiting to see if this combo will be effective, order some gentamycin (sometimes spelled gentamicin) from the site below. Good luck & keep us posted!!!

FISH DISEASE DIAGNOSIS & FISH DISEASE TREATMENTS

I've picked up maracyn and maracyn 2. The instructions read 1 packet per 10gallons, should I only use 1/2 pack of each?

well, now he is not eating, his one eye is the cloudiest I've ever seen as well as slightly deflated and he is super skinny. I did a water change and added 1/2 pack of each maracyn and maracyn 2. But, now I'm considering the most humane way to put him out of his misery..

This is very saddening

Thank you all.. It is a sad day. That little fish brought us countless hours of enjoyment over the past year and a half. It's certainly not a personality you can replace.

I've begun looking into canister filters for this tank. Any recommendations? I know fluval is highly regarded, but sooo expensive. My budget is around $100.

Current stock for this planted 55g:
2 fancy goldfish
2 golden dojos
1 high fin
1 BNC
1 upside down catfish

thank you!

Thanks mumma,

As far as gph is considered, what numbers should I be looking at since I do have 2 fish with pretty decent bioloads.

Back
Top Bottom