Getting a little worried with this cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adiliegro

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, guys...Im getting just a bit worried with this tank cycle! Today I woke up to some MAJOR league cloudy water so I test to see if maybe its a bacteria bloom thinking some good bacteria may be starting to get in my tank...I check the nitrates, and they are around 12.5, so there is some activity with the nitrates...I check the nitrites and they have shot up to 1.6 from 0.3 yesterday after a water change. Is this spike natural? Am I needing to be worried at all?

Yes, its a natural progression of the cycle--but is this a fishless cycle or are there fish in the tank?

If you're cycling with fish, you need to do another water change to get those nitrites down. Your cycle is coming along but the fish can't handle those levels of nitrites for too long.

Nitrite levels between 1.0 and 3.0 cause stress. When it gets above 3.0 is when it can be dangerous to the fish.
Nitrates are ok up to 40.0.

This is the longest part of the cycle, the denitrifying portion, so you are probably right on track, but it is going to take some patience.

How is the situation with the labs?

The one that was hiding is not really doing it anymore...they are back to chasing each other now with one not being that much more dominate. I think they will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom