Getting a new ten gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cooworker got her kids a new ten gal tank kit for her kids for Christmas. She told me that once they lose interest in it that I could have it for free so of course I said yes. Currently I have 2 tanks. A 20 gal long and a 2.5 betta tank.

Currently my 20 gal is a mess. Stock is as follows
2 dwarf puffers (suprisingly docile)
3 platies
4 mollies
1 striped pleco
1 honey gourami
1 female betta
My 2.5 is exclusively a male betta tank because he is extremely aggressive to anything but smaller cats. I should also add that I've recently fallen in love with otocinclus and am dying to get some of these guys.
My plan is to move the platies and puffers to the new ten gal and add 5-8 otos. I've read that otos are sensitive to new tanks so would it be best to add them to the 20 gal and wait to add them to the ten? And I also read on here today that an agelfish can live be housed in a 20 gal tank. With the female betta, honey gourami, mollies and pleco can an angel be comfortable in my tank? I do weekly 75% water changes in the 20. Do you see any problems with my plan? Any thing to warn against or advise on is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe a regular 20gallon. A 20long is a little too short for them and when it gets to adulthood you may have some aggression with an angel sharing that much swim space with your other fish.

Can you grow out a juvi angel in a 20long? Definitely

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

But as far as the ten goes. Can 2 puffers 8 otos and 3 platies be fine?

What kind of puffers are they?

IMO

If you have a good filter that can handle the bioload, you stay up on maintenance, and the fish get along you can do it. Now in the case of a ten gallon, id assume youd need a really good canister filter (as they hold more media) with adjustable flow. In the hobby, species temperament varies within species and specimens. You roll your dice. If they get along and no fish are showing signs of stress, GREAT. If not be prepared to move your fish around. Because youre already heavily stocked with 8 otos and 3 platys. Since puffers are really subjective to temperment, you may run into issues with them in there. Not to mention ive seen aggression from oto cats to my SAE's

To answer your question, i wouldnt do it.

My dwarf puffers are currently in my tank with all my other fish listed and if anything they get bullied. They are fairly docile and I've had no problems with them so far.

Roll your dice bud.

If things go south this is what id do

20L
2 of your docile dwarf puffs
1 Pleco
4 otos

10g
3 platys
4 mollies
1 gourami
Remaining 4 otos

This leaves a flashy heavily stocked 10 gallon that the fish will definitely behave themselves and a understocked 20L slightly specied tank for your puffers and other fish. And as the puffers mature, if theyre still docile, bump them up one more puffer until you reach the visual you want while keeping aggression down

But as far as the ten goes. Can 2 puffers 8 otos and 3 platies be fine?

Otos eat mainly what's known as biofilm. It's not present in newly set up tanks. So if you want Otos to thrive successfully I would wait a few months for the tank to age.

Also Otocinclus are the only confirmed fish that dwarf puffers don't pester. Anything else you endanger the other fish or the puffers. Puffers are territorial and putting them into a new tank will probably cause aggression as they will need new territories.

Caleb

And to add quite frankly

If i was to see those fish in a tank (regardless of tank size)
The puffers would steal the show 100%.

Back
Top Bottom