Getting odd numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard that if you want a certain amount of a semi aggressive fish you should get an odd number? Is this true? I'm going to the store today to get platinum angels I was thinking of only getting 4 but if this is true I'll get 5.

I believe this to be true. For example...I'm looking at getting some Dwarf Gouramis...I will end up getting 1 male and 2 females. I am pretty sure it's the same with Cichlids.

I've heard that if you want a certain amount of a semi aggressive fish you should get an odd number? Is this true? I'm going to the store today to get platinum angels I was thinking of only getting 4 but if this is true I'll get 5.

That's a common rumor that I don't really believe. There's no reasonable explanation why an odd number of fish would work better.

What size tank is this?

I believe this to be true. For example...I'm looking at getting some Dwarf Gouramis...I will end up getting 1 male and 2 females. I am pretty sure it's the same with Cichlids.

That 1m to 2f ratio is just because males can tend to he rough with females. Stocking 2 females helps split the aggression between 2 fish rather than just 1. It has nothing to do with odd numbers.

I've heard the rumor about angels too, but from my own research I've heard that it seems to be better to have any number 6 or more for more reliable behavior... 5 run the risk of two pairs forming and ganging up on the loner, while 3 usually results in a pair forming and beating up the extra.

I have a 55g I was planning on getting a few young platinum angels and letting them pair when they're older and returning the ones that don't. I went to my LFS and they were all out. They said they wouldn't get a new shipment until Wednesday. So do you think I should get 4 or 5? Or even more?

If you're trying to get 2 pairs, then 5 would increase your chances. If you're only trying to get one pair, 4 should be plenty. From my reading it sounds like angels will get along while young as long as they're added at the same time at similar sizes. The aggression issues usually come up after they've paired off.

I'll probably buy 5. I have bought 3 before I knew better and I ended up with a pair and they would fight the third angel furiously.

Back
Top Bottom