Getting Started-Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Llama_13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
None of your business :p (Southern hemisphere)
Hi guys:smilecolros:

I recently received a fish tank for my birthday I am super excited!! :D
However, I have absolutely zero experience about aquariums and fish, and so I was helping I could get some advice and pointers to ensure the wellbeing of my fish.

It is going to be a warm FW tank.

Tank details:
-32L (8.4 Gallons)
-40 x 25 cm (15.7 x 9.8 inches)
-Comes with a lighting cover, filter, and heater
-I am going to purchase a more advanced and effective filter
-Includes 6w LED lighting
-I am purchasing a cleaner, gravel filter, ECT
-Tank does not include any gravel/sand, plants, decor, ECT

I am mainly looking for advice on what fish to get, but also would appreciate any tips for plants or gravel. I would like the general tank decor to make it look as natural as possible.

Preferably recommend species that are hardy, adaptable, and suitable for beginners

I am thinking of getting some Danios and Khuli Loaches as know they are good beginner fish and have been told they are generally compatible. I know that Khuli Loaches are bottom-dwellers and will need a "hiding place".
I would REALLY like a Plecostomus but I've read that most Pleco species grow to be very large.

The temperature in my area can get very hot (I live in Africa), but the tank will be inside and my house in generally quite cold.

I will only start getting fish after 18 June, as from the 14-18 I am going to Kruger Park, and so for the time I'm away I will be cycling the water.
------------

Thank you for all advice and pointers! ♥️

PS: Sorry for the long post, I wanted to include as much detail as possible

Hi guys:smilecolros:

I recently received a fish tank for my birthday I am super excited!! :D

However, I have absolutely zero experience about aquariums and fish, and so I was helping I could get some advice and pointers to ensure the wellbeing of my fish.

It is going to be a warm FW tank.

Tank details:

-32L (8.4 Gallons)

-40 x 25 cm (15.7 x 9.8 inches)

-Comes with a lighting cover, filter, and heater

-I am going to purchase a more advanced and effective filter

-Includes 6w LED lighting

-I am purchasing a cleaner, gravel filter, ECT

-Tank does not include any gravel/sand, plants, decor, ECT

I am mainly looking for advice on what fish to get, but also would appreciate any tips for plants or gravel. I would like the general tank decor to make it look as natural as possible.

Preferably recommend species that are hardy, adaptable, and suitable for beginners

I am thinking of getting some Danios and Khuli Loaches as know they are good beginner fish and have been told they are generally compatible. I know that Khuli Loaches are bottom-dwellers and will need a "hiding place".

I would REALLY like a Plecostomus but I've read that most Pleco species grow to be very large.

The temperature in my area can get very hot (I live in Africa), but the tank will be inside and my house in generally quite cold.

I will only start getting fish after 18 June, as from the 14-18 I am going to Kruger Park, and so for the time I'm away I will be cycling the water.

------------

Thank you for all advice and pointers! ♥️

PS: Sorry for the long post, I wanted to include as much detail as possible

Hi I'm sure will be many people who will give you advice on the forum (from another newbie)

It's very exciting to have your first tank! My most ardent advice would be to cycle your tank before adding fish. There are threads on here just to get you started...AND that you stock your tank with appropriate fish. A tank of that size can house many species, read up on the ones you like and only add ones that can live in that size tank.

I have an Indian dwarf puffer in my 9g and in an 8g I have 6 celestial pearl danios with and old betta.

This is my 8g. All of the plants are Java fern, Anubias and bucephalandra. Their roots are not planted, they are tied to wood or rocks.
IMG_9857.jpg

They are all easy to grow.

Here is the link with cycling info
Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom