Getting started again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinMcG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I started a 20 gallon tank just after Christmas. I did a fish less cycle and everything went swimmingly for a while. Took about two months, but the tank cycled.

I had some problems with a few plants, and I suspect that started my bigger issues. My lights are T5 HO and I was running them for too long. I also got some bad advice at my LFS and bought a bunch of one plant that was reddish and another that I later found out is prone to falling apart. I can't remember what it is called just now, but it's a common one. I also have java fern and java moss on my bog wood. The red plants did really badly and started to rot, so I yanked them out after a couple of weeks. The other started falling apart and I had to pull it too. But, by that point I was seeing a lot of what I thought was algae.

With all my parameters looking good, I started with three neons. They did great and after a couple of weeks I got a pair of cories. I was planning to get about 6 of them and a small school of neons. I got the cories before adding more neons because I hoped they'd start eating the algae. This is when I discovered that I didn't have an algae problem - I had a Cyanobacteria problem. Then my cories died and neither my LFS nor I could figure out why. They and the neons looked like they had ammonia poisoning, but there was no ammonia in the tank. We checked and checked. There's a thread about it in the sick fish forum.

Anyway, the neons are doing well now, but I can't kick the Cyanobacteria. I decided that I want to start again. I have a slightly bigger tank - 25 gallons. It's all I can fit in my living room. But now, I don't know how to work out the logistics. Can I save anything from the first tank? I could boil things like the gravel or maybe bleach it. Will that take care of the Cyanobacteria? Can I save any of the plants? What about the bog wood? I boiled it like mad when I first got it. Could I do that again?

Is there any way to get some of the good bacteria without transporting the bad or will I have to start all over again? I don't really have anywhere to put the neons while I switch tanks, so I think that they will have to go from a bucket into the new tank. Which means that I will be doing a fish in cycle... :(

I confess, I am feeling overwhelmed and that seems to be keeping me from moving forward on this. I really don't want to mess up. I was gutted when my cories died. I don't want to kill everything! Advice would definitely be welcomed.

Oh, I should add some more info about my equipment.

Current tank is 20 gallons (long) and running a Penguin biowheel 200 without the wheel. It was secondhand and there was no wheel when I got it. I added a bag of bio rings to it to help. It has T5 HO lights that I can transfer to the new tank. Gravel substrate, 2 pieces of bog wood, and a bunch of plants. Oh, and some pottery.

New tank is 25 gallons (long), minimal gravel. Filter is aquatech 20-40.

Am considering sand instead of gravel, but currently undecided.

Fish plan is school of small cories, maybe pygmies; school of tetras, maybe neons. I originally got the neons because the LFS told me to put them in before I added the tetras I was eyeing up (rummy noses or cardinals). No longer sold on tetras and considering other options. Really love cories though...

Sorry to hear it, Are you looking to Cycle quickly, Fish In due to the Cyano in the 20 Gallon? I am not 100% familiar with Treating Cyanobacteria other than what I read.
Since you have a new Tank You could use Stability and Prime from SeaChem? I know most on the forum are against using Bacteria from a Bottle but you are kind of Stuck. This could get the Fish in Cycle, Started and Less stress on your Fish in the new tank. Then I would Bleach (10 to 1 mix) and the rinse, let dry then Treat again with White Vinegar /Water mix) on anything in and the old tank...This way it should rid all traces. Trash any live plants..(sorry) on the Bog Wood.... I don't know but If it was me , I get rid of it, and I would keep a eye on the new tank as well...
Also if you use Deionized water in the new tank this would aid it spreading to the new tank try to go as much new as possible Keep the lights off as much as you can. Again Sorry to hear this happened, I was Fighting a Nasty case of Ich (it would flare up and then go go way then back) for weeks. So I know the Frustration of what can I do? I hope my ideas help...

Just an idea, but have you tried treating the cyano tank with erthromycin (maracyn)? I dont have personal experience with cyano bacteria but I have read that its an effective treatment for killing it.

Blue Green Algae Article

jlk said:
Just an idea, but have you tried treating the cyano tank with erthromycin (maracyn)? I dont have personal experience with cyano bacteria but I have read that its an effective treatment for killing it.

Sadly, I tried that without luck. :(. Not sure if the wood is harbouring it or what, but I can't kick it. I'm told that it can be very stubborn.

So, my son's tank just finished cycling. I am going to put a filter sponge in his tank for a couple of weeks to grow some good bacteria and help me cycle the new tank.

Plugged my tank dimensions into a calculator and it looks lie it's 29 gallons, not 25 like I thought. This means that I will be starting with a 29 gallon long as my basis. Next step is working out what to do with it!

I have decided to write off everything in the 20 gallon on e basis of the undying Cyanobacteria. Only think I am going to save from it is the 3 neons. Actually, also keeping the heater and filter, but I will bleach them. :)

I think I am going to start a tank journal for the new tank and document the process, as well as tank the opportunity to ask for advice.

Back
Top Bottom