Getting started as a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TankGirl said:
I would personally wait a couple of months on new additions. I like a tank to "mature" a bit and settle in. The biobugs are not completely established and solid right now, in that disruption of the substrate or filter could cause a cycle easily.

Can you tell I've been burned too many times before, lol? :)

Cool, I can be patient!
I would prefer to have happy inhabitants over instant gratification!

Benmstar said:
Cool, I can be patient!
I would prefer to have happy inhabitants over instant gratification!

I have a few ghost shrimp and they are so cool. I agree on waiting since your little ladies just had fry. Maybe you can do a trade with the LFS- 9 little guppies for some ghosties and a couple snails. Zebra nerite snails are my favorites. They lay eggs but the eggs can't hatch in freshwater. I also like Malaysian Trumpet snails. They do breed but not alot if you keep your tank clean.

Bearchumjs said:
I have a few ghost shrimp and they are so cool. I agree on waiting since your little ladies just had fry. Maybe you can do a trade with the LFS- 9 little guppies for some ghosties and a couple snails. Zebra nerite snails are my favorites. They lay eggs but the eggs can't hatch in freshwater. I also like Malaysian Trumpet snails. They do breed but not alot if you keep your tank clean.

Not worried about buying. But I would gladly give the fish store that sold me my fish! My fry to sell they were amazing! And so sweet! Lol
But I will keep the snail recommendations in consideration. :) I love the snails. I could have a snail tank and be happy. Lol

Benmstar said:
Ok so heater shopping!!

How does everyone feel about the penn plax therma flow?

I have 2 of those heaters. I like it in the tank I don't mess around in. In my other tank where i mess around moving rocks and such I thought I cracked it a few times. It is still kicking though.

Bearchumjs said:

I also really enjoy my nerite snails.

Jodisgermanshepherd said:
I've always wanted a hexagon tank. They seem so fun!

I love vintage looking things lol! I they are so 80s love it!

Bearchumjs said:
They are algae eating machines! Pwc's once a week and 3 zebra nerites keep my tank algae free.

Pics of them?

image-1285720424.jpg

image-274118764.jpg

image-2120713882.jpg

image-793662379.jpg

image-1060292633.jpg

image-1060292633.jpg

image-3876309268.jpg

image-3876309268.jpg

image-3306882856.jpg

image-2813397754.jpg

image-187785769.jpg

image-3034897014.jpg

image-3623392325.jpg

image-1899142405.jpg

image-3594212422.jpg

image-2000968293.jpg

Some pics of the fry hard to see sorry phone pics are stinky lol

They are so cute! Fry are really hard to take pictures of. Lol!

I had to remove a bunch of old attachments from other threads before it would let me post a new picture.

Bearchumjs said:
There are olive nerites, horned nerites, and I think maybe ruby nerite snails. I'd like to get one of each. Lol!

Looking for a place to buy two of each online right now! Lol!

Truly think I might have a plant and creature tank skip the fish lol!

GoldsGuy said:
Yeah I have zebra and horned Nerite snails. They keep tank cleaned without eating plants and don't reproduce in FW so don't get over run

Very cool so they can survive in fresh water as well as salt water?

Benmstar said:
Very cool so they can survive in fresh water as well as salt water?

I would assume so. I'm starting a pico reef and I'm going to see if I can find a saltwater nerite. I could probably drip acclimate a freshwater one really slowly so that it could live in saltwater. I'll have to research it more.

Back
Top Bottom