Getting Started for the first time... again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kryten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been absent my hobby for several years and am starting up once again! I'm going to try to do things better, perhaps a little wiser this time and ask before I go head-long into a big mistake. After some research and consideration I have the following community proposal.

Fish:
1 Betta Fish (betta splendens)
6 Cardinal Tetras (paracheirodon axelrodi)
1 maybe 2 Dwarf Crayfish (cambarellus shufeldtii) (no more than 1.5 inches max adult size)

Plants:
Italian Vallisneria (vallisneria spiralis)
Amazon Sword (echinodorus bleheri)
Green Cabomba (cabomba carolina)

The tank will be a 15 gallon with water cycling @ 100 gph through a dual-stage biological and mechanical filtration system.

Hood has:

1-15watt 6700°K bulb
1-15watt 5000°K bulb

Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, and other considerations that should come into play. And thank you in advance for your comments.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing actually. So I searched out a specific species of cray that would not be so aggressive. Do you think the cambarellus shufeldtii variety of crayfish would pose much of a risk. My choice of that kind is because at that small of a size I was thinking it was more shrimp-like. Yes, no?

The actinic bulb will do nothing for plants. I would get 2 10k instead.

I was thinking the same thing actually. So I searched out a specific species of cray that would not be so aggressive. Do you think the cambarellus shufeldtii variety of crayfish would pose much of a risk. My choice of that kind is because at that small of a size I was thinking it was more shrimp-like. Yes, no?
those nice long fins would be pretty tempting for a cray...

you could try,but i wouldnt chance it.

Oh, yes I've read that one. I'm also following a couple threads of people going through the process. Right now I'm trying to source my ammonia and test kit.

Kryten said:
Oh, yes I've read that one. I'm also following a couple threads of people going through the process. Right now I'm trying to source my ammonia and test kit.

API Master Test kit is used by most of us and is the most accurate IMO. Don't waste your time with the strips, they aren't accurate at all and may do more harm than good.

Okay, I have purchased almost most of my initial supplies:
Ammonia for my fishless cycle - check
API Master test kit - check
I'm planing on having lots of plants so I have a great lighting source.
I'm going to put down some potting soil and small gravel for my substrait.

My next thing to do is getting some plants what to do, what to do hmmmm

Plants bought, tank set up. Filter running.

I used potting soil and then put pea size gravel on top for substrate.
Put the plants in and filled the tank with water. :)

This is where a problem started. I tried filling the tank as carefully as possible but a whole lot of dirt from the bottom layer of substrate ended up getting kicked up. As a result my tank has taken on the color of weak coffee. :(

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

PS. this picture is with the lights ON, so you can imagine how dark it looks with them off!

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 122
As you run your filter, this will go away. I usually put a plate at the bottom of the tank, so when I fill I pour on the plate and nothing gets kicked up.

I used a deep bowl, maybe that was the difference idk. Anyway do you think it's safe to begin my fishless cycle?

I Would check it in about 20 mins to make sure the ammonia is around 4 ppm. I would check it everyday to keep the ammonia at a constant.

Back
Top Bottom