Getting Started for the first time... again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some crushed coral might prevent a ph crash.... I think. And the snails won't cause a threat but will multiply like rats if it's a pond snail. You might want to take them back.

While I was at my LFS today I got some inspiration. How would 5 Harlequin Rasboras and 6 or so Cardinal tetras get along?

I believe either a female betta or dwarf gourami for the center piece and then 3 Otocinclus for algae cleanup duty. Perhaps a few shrimp also for the bottom.

ammonia levels :(

I am doing everything by the book but my ammonia levels are not budging.
My tank has seeded filtering media and substrate. To this 15 gal tank I added enough pure ammonia to reach 4 ppm.
I just don't know what the problem could be, any thoughts? :banghead:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
How many days has it been since you started?

Their probably isn't a problem it's just taking it time to lower, though as you know Im no expert so maybe someone else will more knowledge would comment.

My Ammo still giving me grief and that's almost 4 weeks now!

It's been 9 days and no bb growth. I don't know why I just can't grow this bacteria, I have had tanks before and they were completely cycled in a week! This is getting ridiculous.

Kryten said:
It's been 9 days and no bb growth. I don't know why I just can't grow this bacteria, I have had tanks before and they were completely cycled in a week! This is getting ridiculous.

It's perfectly normal to not see any changes yet if you're not using seeding material.

How did you cycle your other tanks in a week??? Did you have tons of established media?

I have seeded media this time but did not have seeded media previously. Their is a difference in location though.
My first aquariums were setup in a beat up old farm house with well water and this time I'm in a newly built house using city water and a more sterile environment, would that have something to do with it.
But you know what I bought a cheap declorinator... would that have something to do with it?

Kryten said:
I have seeded media this time but did not have seeded media previously. Their is a difference in location though.
My first aquariums were setup in a beat up old farm house with well water and this time I'm in a newly built house using city water and a more sterile environment, would that have something to do with it.
But you know what I bought a cheap declorinator... would that have something to do with it?

Depending on how much seeded media you have, honestly you may just have an unrealistic time table that you're hoping it cycles in.

What brand is the dechlorinator? As long as you're dosing it properly it shouldn't be an issue.

The source of water shouldn't have any huge impact as long as it is dechlorinated. If you weren't using tons of seeded media in the past, I can't believe there's any water source which would cycle a tank in a week just because of it's contents.

The other tanks, well, they were not fishless I had 3 feeder fish in those tanks.

Just to be safe I added a good measure more aquarium water conditioner just to make certain that I wasn't killing off my bb before they had a chance.

Fingers crossed for another week.

Okay, so it has been a bit longer than a week. My tank went through a cycle and I'm doing it once again for good measure. :cool:

I have a question about NO3; Is there an aquarium cycle to rid my fish tank of that the way I was able to get rid of the NO2? :)

Kryten said:
Okay, so it has been a bit longer than a week. My tank went through a cycle and I'm doing it once again for good measure. :cool:

I have a question about NO3; Is there an aquarium cycle to ride my fish tank of that the way I was able to get rid of the NO2? :)

The only way no3 is removed from a tank is either by a heavily planted tank using it, or by the weekly water changes you should be doing regardless for other reasons as well as keeping nitrAtes at or below 20.

I just caught the part about feeder fish in the other tanks. I'm a bit behind...are those tanks cycling? Are you doing water changes or sacrificing them for the sake of getting the tank cycled?

Feeder fish in the tank was the way I cycled my aquarium when I was 18. That's the way I cycled before I even knew their even was a nitrogen cycle.

Kryten said:
Feeder fish in the tank was the way I cycled my aquarium when I was 18. That's the way I cycled before I even knew their even was a nitrogen cycle.

Okay, I think I just got mixed up because I didn't reread the thread from the beginning :). So the feeder fish were from back in the day...not currently cycling a tank at your house. Gotcha.

Am I ready to add fish?

07/18/2011 @ 5:55PM

Ammonia: 0 ppm
NitrIte: 0 ppm
NitrAte: 10 ppm
PH: 7.6 (nice bluish color)
Hi Ph: yellow in color (cannot really tell)

Regarding the Hi Ph number, any idea what this might indicate?

So am I ready?

Kryten said:
07/18/2011 @ 5:55PM

Ammonia: 0 ppm
NitrIte: 0 ppm
NitrAte: 10 ppm
PH: 7.6 (nice bluish color)
Hi Ph: yellow in color (cannot really tell)

Regarding the Hi Ph number, any idea what this might indicate?

So am I ready?

:) :) :). When is the last time you added ammo? If it was within the last 24 hours...it may be celebration time. I'd test it for 2 more days personally. Add ammonia up to ~3ppm, test 24 hours later and let us know what your levels are. If they're 0 ammo and 0 no2 after that time...it's time to add some swimmers!!!

:) :) :). When is the last time you added ammo? If it was within the last 24 hours...it may be celebration time. I'd test it for 2 more days personally. Add ammonia up to ~3ppm, test 24 hours later and let us know what your levels are. If they're 0 ammo and 0 no2 after that time...it's time to add some swimmers!!!

upped ammo to 4 ppm last night about 11pm EDST. this was after a 90% partial water change.

Kryten said:
upped ammo to 4 ppm last night about 11pm EDST. this was after a 90% partial water change.

Meaning the ammo was dosed after the 90% pwc obviously, right?

As I said, I'd test it 2 more times...if it keeps zeroing out for you within 24 hours...turn down the heater to the appropriate temp, do a big pwc if your nitrAte is over 20...and add fish!

Great job :)

Back
Top Bottom