getting water to flow overflow box, sump, return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please tell me if the process below is correct. I am in the process of switching out my wet/dry to a sump. I already got the sump and overflow box. The new protein skimmer will be here tomorrow.
Please tell me if this is the right way to get things flowing, since there are no instructions.

1) I put my Eshopps overflow box on the back of the tank so that the little slits in the black front where the water flows in are even with the water level of the tank. Then fill up the front and back two chambers on the Eshopps overflow with water.

2) Connect the Eshopps overflow tube to the first chamber of my sump and add about 8" or so of water into the sump across all chambers.

3) Put the return pump in the last chamber and tube it back into the main tank.

4) Put the skimmer in the 1st chamber of the sump.

5) Start the siphoning by sucking on a airline tube in the overflow U-tube.

6) Once I get siphon then quckly turn on the return pump?????????

Does all this sound about right? Any extra input we be appreciated.

Sounds good. If you push the overflow box thats in the tank down far enough so it fills, you can suck on the airline to start the siphon and it will only pull a little water and not lose siphon. Once the siphon is going, start the pump. Then you can adjust the overflow box to raise or lower the water level in the tank.

Thanks guys, I got it all flowing last night. I had to carve an 1.5" off the back brace of my stand with a pocket knife, which took a long time. Then I was able to get the sump to squeeze under the stand and the whole getting the water to flow part was pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom