GH Measuring Standard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
1) I have a question about measuring Gh levels by strip method. My GH reading says less than 3 but I want to know if its the same scale which others use? I mean I don't want I measure my GH wrong. I say my GH is less than three but I am not sure its the same scale Others use. It had a "degree" sign and "d" written. Please help if its the same standard use all over. Do you measure in same?

IMG-20171209-WA0007.jpg

2) What is the best way to increase Gh without disturbing other things in water. Is Seachem equilibrium good for this purpose or any other product? I want to use some product and not something like crushed coral etc because I want to know what level will bring what pH. Please help. Thanks.

Please reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like something is wrong in forum my post is not showing full. Half of the sentences are missing. I am writing here again.

My GH reading says <3 but I want to know if its the same scale which others use? I mean I don't want I measure my GH wrong. I say my GH is less than three but I am not sure its the same scale Others use. It had a "degree" sign and "d" written. Please help if its the same standard use all over. Do you measure in same unit?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct..._16_14-4.pdf&usg=AOvVaw13EvMO5QoZCPGCqZZpIFYG
This chart should have all info you need.
I believe you calculate [convert] degrees to PPM by multiplying by 17.84
Thanks. Very useful looking chart. So this means I need to multiply 3 by 17.3? That would be 51.9 I am actually not getting it how to convert. It says less than three. Less than three can be any number. But even if its 1 still on ppm its very high Gh. Are you sure I need to multiply it to 17.3?

This converter says 2 Dgh is 33.3 ppm. I am not sure if people measure Gh is German degrees or in ppm when they mention Gh losely in daily use.

Degrees of General Hardness (dGH) and Parts Per Million (PPM) Converter
conversion chart^^
If your test is to light to read then add 2X the drops and divide the result by 2.
You can add 4X the drops and divide by 4..Get?
Same for high readings .
Just use 1/2 the water and multiply the result..
Math helps fish !
Yes German Degrees is what most refer to.
PPM is the same everywhere.
Thanks a lot but do I need to convert to ppm? I mean please have a look at this below chart. It says Gh parameters for shrimps but it doesn't say which measure. No where people mention its dgh or ppm. In this chart the mentioned tds is measured in ppm in the end. I am really very confused.

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

I don't know if they measuring Gh and KH in dgh and dkh or its ppms.

Those numbers for shrimp I believe are German degrees.
I use a TDS meter for my tanks and pay NO ATTENTION to my PH /GH /KH unless I am using my tap.
My tap is 7.6 /9 /2-3
I believe many links say hard water is over 20?
General Hardness - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Thanks a lot. I also believe Gh and KH are measured in degrees always. I am more concerned because of Taiwan Bee Shrimps keeping. Mine starting to die and I am not having same water parameters as they were so need to make sure everything stays ok. Do you have some experience with these shrimps like black king kong, shadows etc?

No I keep no shrimp.I keep self cloning cray fish but they are undemanding.
I use my TDS meter and RO water to get the right TDS for my rams.
I have also kept reef aquariums since the 1980s so I understand a little about testing.
Most refer to Gemran degrees as the liquid test are calibrated to be one drop of reagent per degree to make it easy for us.
3 drops means 3 degrees which equals aprox 52PPM ?
If you use test strips then take a cup of water out of the tank and dip the strip in it so you are not leaching chemicals from the strip into the tank.Then discard the water and strip...

No I keep no shrimp.I keep self cloning cray fish but they are undemanding.
I use my TDS meter and RO water to get the right TDS for my rams.
I have also kept reef aquariums since the 1980s so I understand a little about testing.
Most refer to Gemran degrees as the liquid test are calibrated to be one drop of reagent per degree to make it easy for us.
3 drops means 3 degrees which equals aprox 52PPM ?
If you use test strips then take a cup of water out of the tank and dip the strip in it so you are not leaching chemicals from the strip into the tank.Then discard the water and strip...
Thanks a lot. Its a very nice tip. I use to dip strip in tank. Never thought chemicals can go inside tank water. Will test now after taking some water out.

Since you are familiar with water chemistry I want to know is it OK to add reminilizers in purified bottled water instead of RO water. I found one product Denerle Shrimp king Bee Salt Gh+ which is said to have all necessary minerals. However people I know use in Ro water only. I was thinking if its ok to use in purified water?

Another question is about TDS. I am reading about it for long. However I don't understand something. They are total disolved solids so it can be anything in water. Not necessarily something harmful. They say tds for shrimps should be 150-180. But suppose I add dechlonirator or fertz which won't be harmful to shrimp but it will show my TDS very high. I am confused about this part too.

TDS isa measurement of everything solid in the water.
GH is a measurement of all hardness in water which is mostly from minerals and solids.
Ferts will raise TDS as will anything ,even waste.
As for purified or any bottled [not ro or distilled] water you need to test the TDS to know if it needs remineralizing.Just being filtered or purified may still leave solids/minerals depending on its source.I have read of non ro waters being pretty high in some areas but everyones water is different.
A good TDS meter is about $15 in US.
Look for HM 3 or HM 4.Good meters for good price ,both do temp and are super easy to use.

TDS isa measurement of everything solid in the water.
GH is a measurement of all hardness in water which is mostly from minerals and solids.
Ferts will raise TDS as will anything ,even waste.
As for purified or any bottled [not ro or distilled] water you need to test the TDS to know if it needs remineralizing.Just being filtered or purified may still leave solids/minerals depending on its source.I have read of non ro waters being pretty high in some areas but everyones water is different.
A good TDS meter is about $15 in US.
Look for HM 3 or HM 4.Good meters for good price ,both do temp and are super easy to use.
Yes I already ordered a TDS and pH meter and I will receive soon. I will check tds of different water sources like tap and bottled waters of different brands. I need to lower my KH. Need to increase my GH and need to have a normal tds range. Looks like difficult task specially because I don't have RO unit and LFS around me don't carry RO water or I would have bought water from them. Also problem is that u use fertz and liquid carbon which will definitely bring tds to high.

Again bumping the topic. I thought to ask Gas station for distilled water as it is used in car batteries. Is distilled water as good as RO? I can reminilize it with Bee salt. Please tell me about distilled water use. Thanks.

Properly distilled water should be 0 TDS just like RO/DI.
It needs to be remineralized to value of your choice.
You can add ferts to water of known value to see how it effects your tank to keep accurate track of original TDS.

Properly distilled water should be 0 TDS just like RO/DI.
It needs to be remineralized to value of your choice.
You can add ferts to water of known value to see how it effects your tank to keep accurate track of original TDS.
Alright. Thanks a lot. I will check gas station near me. I have a six gallon tank so I can afford distilled water. So distilled water have also neutral pH and zero KH and GH?

I believe distilled is neutral with zero GH zero kh.
Raising your KH without raising your GH will be a near miracle.
Let me know if you figure it out...
Kh only holds waters pH stable.If you change enough water with same source pH will not change quick enough to even be noticeable IMO. It may not change at all?

I believe distilled is neutral with zero GH zero kh.
Raising your KH without raising your GH will be a near miracle.
Let me know if you figure it out...
Kh only holds waters pH stable.If you change enough water with same source pH will not change quick enough to even be noticeable IMO. It may not change at all?
Thanks. Usually all Bee shrimp minerals only increase Gh and not KH.

Dennerle Shrimp king bee salt gh+

Salty Shrimp

Dennerle shrimp king mineral fluid double

All above only increase Gh and not KH. I found one guy who can sell me RO water. But he is in different city and will charge me mord to ship water to my doorstep. Will see. I will update this thread. Thanks a lot for the support. Please keep visiting this thread and write.

The missing text in the initial post has been recovered. I believe the less than symbol confused the text editor in the mobile app.

High tech planted tanks and Caridina shrimp don’t always mix well. Of course, there are exceptions.
Plants require nutrients, often in surplus to prevent growth deficiencies. Caridina require pretty pristine water conditions (low GH, KH).

Back
Top Bottom