Ghetto moonlight progress topic (pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I love the moonlights posted in other topics, so I decided I wanted to make some too.

This is all the stuff I have right now.
DSC_0001.jpg

I basically took a block of teflon from work (because it's really soft and flexible, but still rigid enough to hold up for this project. I cut a groove down the middle, then drilled 9 holes for lights right in the center of the groves.
DSC_0002.jpg

I pushed the wire from each of the LEDs through from the front so that the LED was flush against the front wall. Inside the channel I placed two welding rods, one against each wire.
DSC_0003.jpg

These are the LEDs I'm using. I got them on Amazon.
DSC_0004.jpg

I placed tongue depressors between the wires from each LED to help keep them from touching eachother, and to help push them against each welding rod. I also used hot glue to hold them in place.
DSC_0005.jpg

This is what the front looks like.
DSC_0006.jpg

The welding rod is sticking out the end. I put a giant glob of glue to keep them from touching...
DSC_0007.jpg

....then bent them outward to make it easy to hook them up to a power source.
DSC_0008.jpg

If my wife ever gets home with the car, I'll go to the Salvation Army. They have bins full of power supplies. No clue why. I'm thinking I can get a 3 volt power supply around 3 amps max to hook them all up in parallel. Hopefully that works and I get some lights!

Looks good so far. New guy here, so maybe there is a reason... But why don't you just buy led strips? There are websites that offer dozens of set ups and colors. Not to mention they are very cheap, are less than a quarter inch thick, and have sticky stuff on the back already.

Well you're right. There really is no reason to do what I'm doing here, but there's something appealing about building something myself. I can't help it!

Back
Top Bottom