Ghost shrimp as tank buddies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

authorize

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I was just wondering, who here have Ghost Shrimps as tank buddies with their fishes? If so, how many do you guys have? Is it working out pretty well? :squarewink:

I keep about 10-15 in my 29G community tank. They are ok. I would recommend amanos instead if you can find them - they will actually provide some cleanup service for you tank in addition to adding a little movement to the bottom of your tank.

Hello everyone. I was just wondering, who here have Ghost Shrimps as tank buddies with their fishes? If so, how many do you guys have? Is it working out pretty well? :squarewink:

It depends on the size of the tank as to the number you can keep. Also the other inhabitants of the tank will determine whether or not you would safely keep ghost shrimp. Some fish are small and won't go after them and some would eat them in a minute.

I have a 29G tank. I am looking into getting Catfishes. Most likely no more than 4. Probably won't have too many plants in it. Will the shrimps go after the fishes?

I have a 29G tank. I am looking into getting Catfishes. Most likely no more than 4. Probably won't have too many plants in it. Will the shrimps go after the fishes?
what type of catfishes? and i'd be more worried about fish going after shrimp, not the othe way around

I dont think you have to worry about ghost shrimp attacking anything. :)

On the other hand, if the fish can fit the shrimp (or part of the shrimp) into its mouth, you could have an issue.

ghost shrimp are dirt cheap though, so you can give it a try. Worst case scenario is your fish get a nice treat.

Ghost shrimp can go after small fry. Ever look at their two large claws? They are massive compared to other types of shrimp and they are made for scavenging and ripping stuff apart. However, I'd be more worried about the fish going after the shrimp as already mentioned. The types of catfish you are looking into should be fine with ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom