Ghost shrimp has eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just saw my ghost shrimp with little green eggs in side on her "tail" what should i do?

Keep her in a breeder net until the babys are born. If you dont, all of the fry will be eaten and right after the fry are born take the momma shrimp out and put her back in the tank. Ghost shrimp fry grow very slow and are pretty hard to take care o and keep alive

i have a breeder box but there are fry (still dotn know what kind) currently inhabiting it, would it work with them together?

Raising ghost shrimp fry is difficult if not nearly impossible in aquaria. It takes a specialized setup at the least. Many species of ghost shrimp need brackish for the fry to even hatch and survive, but also they come out in a larval stage, so they need lots of microfauna/microflora to eat. I don't think a breeder net would even hold them in it, unfortunately.

Not trying to be a buzzkill but it is a difficult process to achieve at home.

yeah, im just getting exited XD so what would you do to try to save the babys?

i agree with jetajockey. my ghosts breed regularly but i have trouble keeping the larvae alive. Sorry!

so, would the breeder's plant i have in my tank work or would they get eaten?:slurp:

Breeder's plant? Not sure what that is. Given that the size of these guys is miniscule, I don't think they'd work inside a community tank, even if they did manage to stay in a breeder net, since you really need some kind of greenwater or infusoria culture to keep them fed.

Not really, they go through a larval stage, they basically just float around defenseless. Also, shrimp are not really that good at hiding from predators, you might have a few smart ones but they are near the bottom of the food chain for a reason.

hehe true, well i guess ill ust have to wait, (might be getting some java moss or something like that over the week end could that help them?)

It might, but probably not. If you can't get them into a dedicated tank with greenwater then I wouldn't make much more of an effort, there is just too many things that need to be done to have a successful growout for them.

I agree with Jeta advice on everything. lol I would just add that they carry the eggs for over 20 days so if you saw the eggs appear for the first time within the last couple of days you have lots of time to prepare

Back
Top Bottom