Ghost shrimp.... please help me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JawziFish22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had some ghost shrimp for about a month now and 4 of the six have died. Then just last night I saw a red spot on one of the two that wasn't there before and this morning I found him dead. No one can tell me what it early is or say it is normal, but I know it isn't. Also do ghost shrimp need salt water because I have heard many opinions that contract one another. :(

Ghost Shrimp are usually raised as feeders, which means they have a pretty rough life before they ever reach your aquarium. They can be rather fragile because of this fact.

The red spots are usually from ammonia poisoning, is this tank cycled (This means no Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate)?

Since ghost shrimp are not especially hardy or long lived ammonia poisoning will cause them to develop 'red spots' and die, this is most likely the areas of the shrimp where they use the oxygen in the water to breathe.

The red spots are basically the same thing as when fish develop 'red gills' from ammonia poisoning.

Ok thank you I'll have to check the Ph more often because my other shrimp seems fine.

I put two more in my tank after a couple weeks and now my survived shrimp from before has eggs!!.. Hope at least one photo is visible.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130819_205945.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_205945.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 125
  • ForumRunner_20130819_210006.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_210006.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 122
  • ForumRunner_20130819_210017.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130819_210017.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 119
Well I'm not sure what that means.. Feel free to explain please :)

Basically brackish water is fresh water with some salt but its not that simple. They will live in fw but the eggs cannot hatch unless in brackish. Im not a brackish expert at all so thats my best explanation

True ghost shrimp do not need brackish water. Many machrobrachium and caridina species do, but not paleamonetes, which reproduces entirely in fresh water. I have bred many of them, and I can attest that they don't need salt.

But there are other shrimp also called Ghost, so that might be confusing. But those sold for feeders, that are native to the US, are fresh water. The trick is raising the larvae, which need microscopically small food items for the days they are zoeys, which is the name for the larvae.

The eggs will get bigger, and slowly get lower down on the shrimp. Once they are underneath her, she will fan them with her swimmerets to keep them clean and shortly before she lets them go they may change colour a bit.

They'll be let go in about 3 or 4 weeks, and float to the top, if the don't get sucked into a filter. They quickly hatch, and at room temps, morph to shrimplets in about four or five days, if they can find food to eat while they are zoeys. I cultured single cell algae for mine.. aka greenwater, from pure species disks, and poured about 50 ccs of it into a 5 g breeder tank twice a day until they morphed. Used only a sponge filter, so they can't be sucked up.

The shrimplets hang near the surface in the day, sinking down to the bottom at night, rising again when the lights come on. For a few days they don't move much, but you can see the suggestion of legs, and the eyes are visible. If a microworm or other food comes within reach of the shrimplet you will see the tiny body jerk as it grabs for it, but they can't swim freely quite yet.

They need food items like microworms, or super finely crushed flakes.. totally powdered, in tiny, tiny amounts. One or two specks of powder is food for a day or so.

They moult often, you'll see the shed shells, might think they are dead shrimplets. They grow pretty fast and by the time they are quarter inch, behave much like adults, but spend much ,time at the bottom. They love to feed on a sponge filter, or wood, but will pick at anything.

They need a tank with plenty of biofilm, because that is the primary food source for the shrimplets after they morph, once they start crawling and swimming independently, until they are about a half inch in size. Even after that, biofilm remains a favoured food source.

Adult shrimp live, at best, maybe 18 months, you might get two years if the conditions are ideal, but a year is more likely. Need clean water, relatively cool temps, 70 F or so, and biofilm, more than anything. Sponge filters work great, or put a prefilter on a HOB type filter, sponge preferably.

Will eat anything, like shrimp pellets, algae pellets, fish flakes, microworms, frozen bloodworms and other frozen delights, like BBS.

They get darker with age, turn a bit orangish on the back, get some dark marks on the shells. Many have a bright orange band around each 'wrist' and a bright orange 'dash' mark on each tail fan segment. Not all have this marking but many of them do.

Charming little guys, and mostly pretty tolerant as shrimp go, if they are not injured when you get them. Some will be, as they are sold as feeders and thus not treated with much care.

They also prefer fairly cool water. Sometimes they don't do as well at higher temps.. I keep mine below 75, often around 70. They do well at that temp.

True ghost shrimp do not need brackish water. Many machrobrachium and caridina species do, but not paleamonetes, which reproduces entirely in fresh water. I have bred many of them, and I can attest that they don't need salt.

The eggs will get bigger, and slowly get lower down on the shrimp. Once they are underneath her, she will fan them with her swimmerets to keep them clean and shortly before she lets them go they may change colour a bit.

Ok so they have lived really well without the salt and are doing pretty good, my shrimp is still full of eggs. But the last part about the color, what kind of color change am I looking for??

The eggs sometimes get a bit yellow looking just before the shrimp lets them go. Not a bright colour, but different from the colour they are most of the time she carries them.

In my experience the eggs will start to turn semi clear with a green tint soon before hatching. But the easiest way to tell is when you start to see little black dots on the eggs. Those are their eyes! When you can see the eyes pretty well it usually means hatching time is within the week

I have seen that a few times, but in many of the ones I've had, eggs have turned yellowish as they drop down the swimmerets. Perhaps it's an effect of the water, which tends to be slightly yellow, thanks to a lot of wood. I do wonder if there are, perhaps, subspecies, or variants, in these guys.

Some have those orange markings at the wrist joint and on the tail fans, some don't. Some Ghost shrimp are not palaemonetes at all, instead they are some other family, and need brackish water for the zoeys to survive.

Eggs of the brackish species will hatch in fresh water, they just don't live unless they get to salt water within a very few days time, as they would in the river estuaries they are native to, like Amano shrimp, for example. Paleamonetes is native to the southern USA, one reason they are so cheap to buy there, and their entire life cycle is fresh water. I still get quite a kick out of watching their behaviours. I know they are mostly instinctual, but entertaining, just the same.

Thank you guys, but it's only been about a week and a half so we'll see if I end up with some baby shrimp to go with my 20 or so baby snails.

Back
Top Bottom