Ghost Shrimp Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I currently have five ghosts. Three females and two males. One of the females has been berried for about a week and I found a 2nd berried female this morning. Just courious...has anyone here had ghost shrimp that successfuly had babies?

"ghost shrimp" is a general term used for a good number of different types of shrimp. I have ghost shrimp in four of my tanks and commonly see the females holding, but never had any babies show up. So, I'm guessing mine are one of the types where the babies need brackish water to survive. Just adding in my bit. Yours may or may not actually survive.

I have 1 female amano shrimp that is currently berried, but I dont plan on getting any babies.

Ive only see that if having a shrimp breeding tank, the fry would be able to survive, but In a community setup (especially with other shrimp) the new tiny hatchlings would or wouldnt be able to survive. Just depends.

"ghost shrimp" is a general term used for a good number of different types of shrimp. I have ghost shrimp in four of my tanks and commonly see the females holding, but never had any babies show up. So, I'm guessing mine are one of the types where the babies need brackish water to survive. Just adding in my bit. Yours may or may not actually survive.

I am aware that certain types of ghost shrimp need brackish water but was courious as to how common it is to get ghosts that can breed w/o it. Do your females just carry the egss in their saddle, or do yours actually become berried and drop their eggs to their tail?

! have two ghosties and I guess they're a pair because I've seen one of them berried twice. Both times, I happened to be changing tanks, so they were probably dropped due to stress. Whether the babies survive probably depend on the species. I think the most common species in the US lives in FW ditches down south, so I would assume the babies grow up in FW.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom