Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 4 Ghost Shrimp today and put them in my 20gal, and I have a few questions about them. Do they reproduce quickly? How do I tell the gender? And would it be alright to get 4 more? I've read a little about them but I'm still not a expert in the 'shrimp world'. Any advice is helpful.

GuppyLover

The reproduce quite often, usually being berried and spreading the eggs around the tank often. That being said, It is a 50/50 chance the babies will survive.

The males will be approximately one whole inch bigger than the females, and the females may also be carrying pink eggs on their undersides when prego.

Depending if your tank is not overstocked, I would say you could. What do you have in the tank?

There are several species sold as "ghost shrimp". Some can breed in fresh water, most need brackish water for success.

Small shrimp like ghosts and RCS put practically no bioload on the tank. Feel free to stock up.

@BigJim: I trust the LFS I got them from and the lady said they help the bioload instead of putting stress on it, I just wanted extra advice to be sure she was right, thanks for the help. Mine are completely clear and they have a few black speckles on them. I got them for 19 cents each so I would love to get more.

@tyspot1000, I was wondering what the pink undersides meant, well I have 2 big ones and 2 very small ones. One of the big ones (Scampi) has the pink belly.

any time you add a living creature to the tank you are adding to the bio load. be it shrimp have very very little bioload like jim said its still there.

there are a ton of different glass shrimp like jim said its just a wait and see if yours will breed in fw or not.

Back
Top Bottom