Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, if you have a large enough number to start with.

If they can breed in a completly empty, save for water and Ghost Shrimp, tank at the LFS, they can breed in your tank.

and as for that previous comment, I brought home 2doz a few weeks ago, and over half were egglaiden before I even bought them!

You might want to do a little more research on them; I've read the ghost shrimp are actually brackish water shrimp...

Allivymar said:
You might want to do a little more research on them; I've read the ghost shrimp are actually brackish water shrimp...

My tank is Freshwater, with only one Tablespoon of Aquarium salt to make everyone happy and the shrimp are thriving. Atleast thats when I see them, little buggers like to disappear.

Hence the name Ghost Shrimp, I guess 8O

Aha, a little more research and it seems there are 2 types of ghost shrimp; difficult to tell apart visually, but one comes from brackish/marine waters (Palaeomonetes pugio or vulgaris), while the other comes from fresh (Palaeomonetes kadakensis or paludosus). Apparently they are often mistaken for each other.

I have read another thread long ago about shrimp eggs hatching and producing viable wee shrimpies, and I believe it is uncommon in the typical home aquarium. I am not positive about this, but it is probably like many fish we keep - in the community setup there is not a chance, but in their own tank you can make it happen.

I don't see why it would be difficult. Everytime I buy some the are filled with eggs. They would definately need their own tank. They don't survive more than 5 minutes in a community tank.

Depends on the fish, Mine have lasted almost 2 weeks already in the community tank. Their quick and ellusive little buggers

Back
Top Bottom