Giant Danios keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I currently have the following stock:

Dwarf Gourami 3
Clown Loach 4
Glo-Lite and Blue Tetra 12
Giant Danio 2

So far I have had three Giant Danios die within a week. 2 of them that I have for about 3 weeks now seem healthy and are growing. The ones that died I have gotten as a separate batch after a week after the first ones. I did not test the water myself. Local store told me that my water was OK. Other fish seem to be doing really well.

Sounds like a diseased batch. One of the went blind (really weird things happened to it's eyes)., the others seemed to just run out of strength, spent most of the latter part of the week lying on the bottom before floating belly up.

Just wanted to ask if this sounds like a diseased batch.

Thanks,

Lorus....

It is likely. If I could make a couple of suggestions, you should really get a test kit if you can. It is a really cheap investment and can greatly help you in diagnosing any sudden fish problems. A lot of times your fish can give you warnings that something isn't right and a test kit is needed. Who knows if the person at the LFS tested the water right.

Do you have a QT. for new fish, if not this is why it is important.

It is imposibble for anybody to say yes, it was a bad batch of fish but like I said, it is likely. If you dont have a QT for new fish try to really inspect all the tanks at the LFS. Don't buy from tanks that have dead fish in them, loof for ICH spots, heavy breathing. Alot of times you can not see a problem but doing a good visual inspectio will help.

What size tank and how often are you doing water changes? I would agree that a test kit would be a great investment.

Zagz said:
What size tank and how often are you doing water changes? I would agree that a test kit would be a great investment.

75g.

every week about 10 gallons.

Will pick something up in Pet Smart tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom