Giant gold barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
At one of the local LFS, they had a display tank for a long time with two huge gold barbs in it. Recently when I went, the fish were gone, and I asked about them and the guy who was helping me said the fish had been in a very large tank for a very long time. I have no idea how big the tank they were in was, I'd say at least 200 gallons. Anyway, my question is has anyone else ever seen unusually large fish of a certain species? These barbs were about 5 inches (Puntius sachsii). The maximum I've seen from aquarium information is like 2.5 inches. I have 5 3 year old barbs in my 55 gallon and they're about 2.5 inches with one large female that may be slightly larger. The fish I saw at this place was at LEAST 5 inches (I'm looking at a ruler now) How does a fish that's normally much smaller get so freakishly big? It was beautiful, but huge...

Have you ever seen a full grown Tinfoil Barb, they are huge!!! Some barbs get unbelievably big, do a few google searches and you will be amazed.

Yeah... I've seen large tinfoil barbs... but their maximum size is recorded at like over 12inches. Gold barbs are usually said to max out at around 2.5 which is why I was so shocked. It wasn't a surprise to see a large barb, just a large barb of that type. Kind of like a freak fish. I was kind of just wondering if there was something you'd have to do to cause a fish to grow that large (that isn't normally supposed to be that large)

you must keep in mind that when they say max size, they usually kinda downsize a fish' real size so its more tempting for an unkowing buyer. I usually add an inch or two to any max size of a fish just to be safe. I bet they were beautiful though.

Gorgeous!!! They were amazing! I wish mine would get that big. It would be a great excuse to get a bigger aquarium :) So you add an inch or two even to the internet information you find huh? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom