GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can probably sell the flame moss as a ball. I don't know much about moss. There certainly is a lot though!

I don't think it would be a good idea to offer moss that's laden with Spirogyra. I'm looking for flame moss myself but that's a nasty bit of algae to risk adding into a tank.

Edit: I read on TPT that rosy barbs will eat Spirogyra if they're hungry. I'm sure you read the same page but here's a link if you haven't.

I may have a little bit of this in my tank as well. :(

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Well I've been doing some research on Spiro and I've read a solution that I think I can trust. Since I'm also a member on the TPT forums, I posted the same question there and a member who has successfully dealt with this stubborn algae has pointed me to using API AlgaeFix. In my years of perusing the TPT forums, I've always seen this guy named Tom Barr (AKA: plantbrain / and of the Barr Report) who always gets respect and acknowledgment for his input on plant/algae related matters... Anyway, it turns out if I use AlgaeFix that it should eradicate the Spiro, Hair, and most other algae I may have without harming the Moss or other plants. The only thing I need to do IF I decided to use this method is remove my shrimp throughout the treatment process, since this product is not shrimp / invert safe. I've read about the Rosy Barbs eating spiro, but since I have shrimp, I don't think they would be a good idea.

API Algae fix and moss
My treatment for spirogyra algae

Once I win my battle with the algae, I'll get to cultivating some flame moss balls to sell :)

Now to address the root cause... I've read that it's probably due to an ammonia spike. Perhaps when my tank was cycling a bit or when 4 shrimp went missing with no bodies in sight? This may have been the culprit in ammonia. Since Spiro likes the same conditions as plants, all it takes is that one little imbalance for it to take hold... then it just grows with the rest of the plants since it likes high light, co2, and ferts...LOL So I THINK the root cause is addressed because all shrimp are accounted for now (6 red rili + 1 amano) and the tank is cycled. l'm considering reducing the photo period or raising the fixture even higher... we'll see :(

I used peroxide around my java moss,for a couple.days it extremely green&then I had a huge die off..

as for your missing rili you might want to keep an eye on the amano depending on its size, we keep amano and cherry shrimp in the same tank and my wife was watching them one day when one of the amanos just swam up grabbed a cherry, chomped down on its head an continued munching till there was nothing left. it's a rare occurance I'm sure but not impossible

Get me on that list for flame moss :) I will be getting my tank and substrate soon all I have to do now is get the filter so I will let you know when I start the thread!

Sounds good Dan.. can't wait to see what another AA member does with a GLA rimless.. they're great tanks!

Hi Rivercats.. The Downoi is doing well and getting larger. It has a side shoot forming that's getting rather large. When that happens, is it okay to snip off and replant like any other stem plant?

Yep the same way but the problem I've found is you have to clip it with enough stem or you can't replant it for some time. It's kind of a pain but give it a go. I just let mine form a thicket (great for the shrimp) as I found it's almost impossible for me to be able to get down in the 220 to clip properly without pulling up entire areas.

Update - It's been about 4 months since planted!

Well... I managed to get the algae under control for the most part. There's still some left but not much. I didn't resort to chemical warfare... I just did some good old fashion scrubbing and adjustments to photoperiod / co2 levels, etc. The FLAME MOSS has pretty much taken over this tank. I've been tempted to trim it back down but it looks so healthy and I know a bunch of folks might need some (got a list already going), so I figured I'd let it grow out some more.

Secondly, I finally placed an order for the glass lily pipes! I'll finally get this tank looking the way I want to soon. Now I'm just waiting for this Rili Shrimp to breed already so I can get some CPD's in here!

Here's some pics in its current state... Forget calling this tank anything else other than a "FLAME MOSS TANK" ....LOL :blink:

8360756724_e358d4b0b5_b.jpg

8360756710_396808b070_b.jpg

8359693105_f5983444ab_b.jpg

Wow... and to think the Flame Moss started as this not too far back!!!

8051758340_6768dd5393_c.jpg

Really looking good! The problem in my tank is everytime I try to replant the little pieces the angels pull them up. I'm having a heck of a time getting the big area on the right side of my tank filled back in... I love angels but sometimes, grrrrrr!

My Cal Aqua Labs glass lily pipes are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... My excitement is building! Say goodbye to black ugly Fluval equipment sticking out like a sore thumb on this tank! Haha

I really need to trim this beautiful flame moss back to create a balance in this tank again. It looks so full and healthy I'd hate to disturb it though.. anyway, if i buy some heater packs to ship some flame moss sooner than later, would any of you guys be interested in buying? Otherwise, I'm thinking of waiting till warmer weather.

My Cal Aqua Labs glass lily pipes are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... My excitement is building! Say goodbye to black ugly Fluval equipment sticking out like a sore thumb on this tank! Haha

I really need to trim this beautiful flame moss back to create a balance in this tank again. It looks so full and healthy I'd hate to disturb it though.. anyway, if i buy some heater packs to ship some flame moss sooner than later, would any of you guys be interested in buying? Otherwise, I'm thinking of waiting till warmer weather.

I'm on that list for flame moss right? :lol: I want some! Can't wait to see the lily pipes! I have a ka-billion heat packs lol I don't have anything to do with but I am shipping some plants tomorrow so that should decrease my stock :)

What's the best deal for these heat packs? I never bought them before nor have i ever shipped plants... Lol

What's the best deal for these heat packs? I never bought them before nor have i ever shipped plants... Lol

I got mine from Amazon, I believe they were called "Uniheat live animal shipping warmer" and then I got a few packs specially for tropical fish...I don't know but they screwed my order of 4 packs up and I received 16.... Lol

Here is a good deal for 20 packs that are 40+ hours
http://www.amazon.com/UniHeat-Shipp...8111508&sr=8-1&keywords=Live+animal+heat+pack

Back
Top Bottom