Glass Beads as Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale_I

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a QT. I know most QT's will not use substrate, but I prefer not to look at the tank bottom and am planning to keep this up and running all the time with minimal decoration and a half dozen fish in it to keep the cycle going.

I'll probably go with a 20 gallon long and was considering using sand as the substrate instead of gravel. Just a thin layer to cover bare tank bottom. I've heard of people using marbles, but then thought of small glass beads.

Other than being a little carefull not to break them, anyone have any comments that might deter me from trying them? I wouldn't use much, just enough to cover the tank bottom. Or, maybe acrylic beads?

:confused:

Thinking something like this:
2078744720105699732S425x425Q85.jpg

A bare bottom is preferable in a Hospital or QT tank for several reasons. Easier to clean, easier to observe any disease or parasitic problems.
However, glass beads would work, but would be a place for food to be trapped or any pathogens to hide in. Suit your self.

Dale_I said:
I'm planning a QT. I know most QT's will not use substrate, but I prefer not to look at the tank bottom and am planning to keep this up and running all the time with minimal decoration and a half dozen fish in it to keep the cycle going.

I'll probably go with a 20 gallon long and was considering using sand as the substrate instead of gravel. Just a thin layer to cover bare tank bottom. I've heard of people using marbles, but then thought of small glass beads.

Other than being a little carefull not to break them, anyone have any comments that might deter me from trying them? I wouldn't use much, just enough to cover the tank bottom. Or, maybe acrylic beads?

I don't see why not, it won't hurt anything. I think it would look pretty cool. Take some pictures if you end up doing it.

-word of warning- Whatever you decide, Don't pick anything too light in weight. My son picked these acrylic/plastic decor beads for in his tank (from Top Fin) when he first set it up and the things were constantly getting sucked up during gravel vacs and plugging the drain hole in the vac which meant we'd have to stop, unplug it, and start all over again. Definitely annoying.

Last edited:

Thinking something like this:
2078744720105699732S425x425Q85.jpg
That would look cool. As was said, the reason people don't do it is because of the ease of cleaning (which is obviously up to you) and because small spaces in between the beads (or in the middle) give gunk and goop a place to build up and cause problems. If you want to cover the bottom, I would suggest the beads because they are lighter than the marbles so they are easier to move around for cleaning. But, it will mean you have to spend more time cleaning and make sure to clean out everything really well between fish patients/quarantinees.:)

Ease of cleaning... point taken. Still, since the tank will be up and running I think I would like a thin layer of something. It will be a QT if needed, otherwise will be a fish tank the majority of the time.

I would rather find some type of super small marble or oblong something rather than glass beads. Good point about the hole of the bead giving undue area to collect contaminant.

I'll keep looking for some non bead glass type item. I figure it can't be any worse to clean than gravel/sand and would look unique. I'm trying to think outside the box and try something different or unique.

I've used marbles before and it was annoying getting one stuck in the gravel vac, but otherwise it was fine. One other thing is that marbles leave large gaps, so tons of crud can get buried down under them. The other thing is if you have fry, be careful not to stir up the marbles because they find refuge in them and will be trapped/smashed.

Thanks for the fry heads up. Talking with my wife, marbles are out. As previously mentioned, a bit of a pain to move around for cleaning and the large crud gaps are a good reason too.

After thinking about it, so are beads. I called a local craft store and told her what I was thinking. She connected me to the flower dept because they have some items they use to decorativley fill empty glass containers and etc. She called them Oval Glass Gems. I think I'll pop over there tomorrow to take a look.

Checking out the online pictures, I'm thinking mostly black with some clear mixed in, and maybe a dozen or two clear marbles just to give it eye interest. They are about 5/16 to 3/8 oval and maybe 1/4 thick. We'll see...

2289620810105699732S425x425Q85.jpg
2109970540105699732S425x425Q85.jpg

I am curious about why you want to keep your QT running all the time? I have little experience with using a QT but it seems to me you run the risk of infecting the fish that live there all the time? And if you move them to another tank while quarantining... how will you disinfect your QT without losing your cycle before moving them back?

You don't really lose your cycle if you have to use your QT for administering medication. Hopefully the meds work and the fish(es) recover. Then you run a charcoal pack in your filter to eliminate the medication and after maintaining a week or so inspection you can introduce them back to the main tank.

If the fish does not survive, same charcoal to remove meds and increase the heat to sterilize the tank from parasites or etc. Clean the substrate with some water changes and if you need to reintroduce some bacteria from the main tank, you do it. Water tests will let me know.

I'm using a Fluval 304 on the main tank and plan to use a Fluval U3 in the 20 long, so seed material will be as easy as opening the 304 and taking some biomax to place into the U3 cartridge. The 20 long is only 12 inches tall, which makes netting easier as long as I stick with simple decor.

But really, I'm just expecting to use it to observe new purchases for a week or two before introducing them to the main tank. Now that I'm purchasing more expensive fish and had an ich scare, it convinced me to take the QT plunge instead of losing $$$ in more expensive fish due to typical common diseases from a LFS.

But, it won't be bad to have if someone gets sick or needs to recover from an altercation.

jetajockey said:
Ive used that type also, found large bags on clearance in walmart craft section.
How did you like it? Since you no longer maintain it, I suppose there were some issues?

Okay, I can see how having two filters of the same make would make transferring seeded material really easy. It just sounded to me like you would be treating sick fish in it, then putting healthy fish right back in. I don't think anyone on here is the type to intentional subject their fish to disease, so I was just trying to figure out how you would kill the disease and maintain the cycle while shuffling fish between tanks.

It would be no different than treating sick fish in the main tank. Once the treatment is done, the tank returns to the natural eco-cycle. The difference with doing it in a specific tank is that you don't have to subject the other fish to the regimen you must administer to the sick/damaged fish.

Another benefit is that a sparsely decorated tank is easier to keep an eye on the fish. The main tank is up to 27 inches deep with lots of grotto's, plants, caves, etc. Although that is great for the fish, it makes observing one closely several times a day difficult. Especially when they are feeling bad, which is when they will tend to want the privacy of a dark hole somewhere.

I lost a couple Oto's during the last Ich breakout. Not real sure they are gone, but haven't seen one for sure since the temp was raised. Also thought I lost a Cardinal Tetra, but the seemed to have been all there a couple days ago.

Another reason I wanted an existing QT tank: My daughters picked out some Gold Barbs and I would like to remove them for more visually pleasing fish in the main tank. But, I'm not willing to have them come home and not find "their" fish. A 20 long can house the Barbs, which can also help new arrivals be comfortable with the QT, and hopefully reduce stress during inspection to the new arrivals before integration to the main tank.

Last reason... doesn't everyone look for a way to justify building another tank? Wouldn't it be tantamount to irresponsible if I didn't take this chance to rationalize the purchase? Who wouldn't want... MORE FISH!!!

I figured I would rely on the experience of others before I branch out to make similar mistakes on my own. I just want to make it super easy to clean and decorate it with the thought of quarantine, if it is ever needed. Main tank, more is cool. This tank, less is more.

UPDATE:

Well, I gave it a valiant effort. We have a large craft store in town and I found the oval flattened glass marble things (they call them glass gems) and they were half price (yee-haw)! I purchased a half dozen all black, a few bags of clear, and a few bags of clear with black internal stripes, figuring I would play with the mixture until I found something that worked.

But, before opening and mixing, I went to find the background.

I looked at EVERYTHING and found nothing that looked good. I obviously wasn't going for natural, but nothing looked good. I was inspired by the Fluval Chi and Edge, looking for that zen modern vibe. But... nothing. I looked at glass, plastic, appliqués, fabric, acrylic, tile, etc. About the closest I came was using glass tiles that you would use for a back-splash in your kitchen. I would have had to use aquarium silicon to place them and I would have scrapped the grout... but it wasn't meant to be.

I switched gears, decided to return the black glass gems and went for brown glass gems thinking that is would go with our house decor better, hoping by not taking such a drastic departure from the house (colonial) trying for zen, and hoped it might work. In short... Nope.

However, in trading the black color palette for brown, I did find an interesting solution for the background. I ended up purchasing a single 12 x 32 cork floor plank. It is darker than your normal cork board, but not as dark as the chocolate cork you would find in a craft store. It has flow to it instead of looking like cork board, and my wife gave the OK.

Back to the craft store, trading our glass gems for the third time, ending up with river rock. The small sized granules that you find sometimes in glass bowls at the doctors or dentist office to hold their pens up.

So... two nods of the hat to jetajockey for going where I hadn't and knowing when to turn back, and a double wag-o-the-finger to me for not learning from the more experienced. I have visited where you have been, and now we are both in a better place.

I still have to cut down the plank to match the 20L back panel and dab some silicone to hold it to the outside, need to fill in the gravel, bought a glass top today, and hooked up a great deal at a yard sale on a couple 100w Ebo-Jager heaters for $5. Now I'm on the hunt for a filter. Once that's accomplished, I'll be up and running.

I'll take some pics as I put it together and will post in a new thread since a new title would be more appropriate. So, for now, glass substrate is back in the idea box where it came from. DOA

Back
Top Bottom