Glass or acrylic ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glass or acylic ???

• Glass tank

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Acrylic tank

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • It does not matter

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Which type of tank do you prefer and why? A new person to the site wants to know what folks prefer and why. Lets help him out.

I perfer glass tanks. I believe them to scratch less than acrylic and IMO they seem clearer.

I am going to have to say Acrylic A lot stronger and will not crack easily like Glass....Even though I have a Glass Tank. Still looking for that Acrylic Tank.

Last edited:
I have an acrylic tank, but I generally prefer glass.
Acrylic and glass both have their benefits. I say it dosn't matter.

if i had the money for it id go for acrylic because they are stronger and lighter...if you get a scratch you can do something to remove it but with glass the scratch stays

Glass. It may be heavier but it's clearer IMO. I've had acrylic and I didn't like it as much. It scratched like crazy whereas my glass ones haven't had as many issues.

ive never had one either i just heard someone saying that a scratched acrylic tank can be "wiped off" with a fine cloth...kinda like sanding the wood i guess
i have a glass tank and i managed to scratch my glass and i know nothing will bring it back

Yeah you can kind of sand it down and Buff it out to make it look like new again. I believe they make a Solution that is Aquarium Safe if you happen to Scratch your Acrylic from the inside there is a scratch remover that's suppose o work under water to remove it... But I am not to sure I could be wrong about that.... :)

if you have the money why not go for acrylic tank
some companies make rimless or seamless even but i still wonder how "safe" these are
better yet get a bow front tank

My acrylic 5G tank is very handy as a utility tank, for QT, hospital, etc. Easy to toss into the sink for cleanup. Not sure I'd go for a bigger one though, for reasons described by others here.

It doesnt matter, just depends on what you're looking to do with it / what you're looking for in a tank.

Anything under 75g and I prefer glass, but anything over and I purchase acrylic if available. Acrylic can be buffed underwater (it's easier this way) without affecting the inhabitants.

Glass here , it doesnt scratch nearly as easy as acrylic .
It means I can use a mag float to do daily swipes on the side of the tank !
It is also a bit less expensive to replace if needed (smaller tanks that is )

This was a tough deciscion for me with my new 180. I chose acrylic and I am happy with it. It is clearer than glass and much much stronger. As far as scratchng it goes, just be careful. I purchased a Mighty Magnet to clean the acrylic and it works great. I agree with innovator that I think it depends on the size of the tank whether glass or acrylic is better. Another reason I chose acrylic is because I live in an earthquake area and I have a new son who someday may decided to bang something up against the tank. I have seen vidoes of people taking hammers to acrylic and it does not break. Glass would shatter in a second with the same swing of a hammer.

Glass here , it doesnt scratch nearly as easy as acrylic .
It means I can use a mag float to do daily swipes on the side of the tank !
It is also a bit less expensive to replace if needed (smaller tanks that is )

Yes yes yes! I totally agree. I have both and love my glass tank much better.

As said on tanked acrylic is 98% clear while glass is only 78-80% clear so for viewing pleasure acrylic is the way to go but durability glass no competition

Always had glass,,just got a 280 glass ,,HEAVY!!,,but still prefer it over acrylic ...With 3 kids always touching it and looking in it...Makes sense

Back
Top Bottom