Glass or Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayoshow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning out my 3rd aquarium. My current 2 are small planted tanks, a 5 gallon Marineland and a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I love both of them, the 5 gal especially because it has taught me so much in the 2 years I've had it.
But both tanks reside in my kids rooms. I want one too!
And I want to go much bigger. I'm looking at 55, 75, maybe 90 gallons.
I'm entirely unfamiliar with acrylic tanks and I wonder if anyone could describe their experience with acrylic, either good or bad, and I'm particularly interested in comparisons to glass. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never actually worked with acrylic, so my opinion may have limited value, but I can tell you that, having worked with and lifted a larger (150g) tank, acrylic would've been nicer simply from a weight perspective. Having to carry 3-350 lbs from the truck, into the house and up the stairs with two people was NOT a fun process

I'm planning out my 3rd aquarium. My current 2 are small planted tanks, a 5 gallon Marineland and a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I love both of them, the 5 gal especially because it has taught me so much in the 2 years I've had it.
But both tanks reside in my kids rooms. I want one too!
And I want to go much bigger. I'm looking at 55, 75, maybe 90 gallons.
I'm entirely unfamiliar with acrylic tanks and I wonder if anyone could describe their experience with acrylic, either good or bad, and I'm particularly interested in comparisons to glass. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had an acrylic tank for 26 years in my house and in my fish house I have 18 acrylic tanks. I'd never go back to glass. Acrylic doesn't break or crack although you have to be careful about scratching it with gravel. Since the larger acrylic tanks have edges and a crossbar on top they are a little harder to reach in a clean and catch fish from, but those are minor considerations. They are a lot lighter and look a lot better than metal-framed glass tanks. If you need to drill holes in them for a filter or drain, it's very easy. I absolutely love acrylic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom