glimmer lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

todd9146

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i was wondering if anyone has a way to put glimmer lines with pc's? :lol:

Add a single incandescent light, like a 60W - 100W bulb. Should be able to do it cheap. The glimmer lines are caused by a pinpoint source of light ;)

not a bad idea. do you think it would make a lot of heat?and what brand of bulb would have the right spectrum?

I think with such low wattatge bulbs, spectrum wouldn't be an issue, I don't know if you can get one in the "right" spectrum
dontknow.gif

a cheep led or 2 from radio shack should do it and they give off almost no heat.i get beautiful glimmer lines from the moonlight leds on my t-5 fixture working on getting a decent pic i can post that is not to dark computer and camera challenged.

you can get glimmer lines with pcs , but you have to raise them about a foot or more. I have a white LED flash light and it does a good job of creating glimmer lines at a lower hieght.

what exactly are glimmer lines. I see this topic come up often and am a little unsure about what they are. I presume that it is just an effect given off from the lighting?

When the light rays hit the bottom of the tank or the surroundings, and a shimmering effect from the tension on the surface is transposed down there... Direct source such as Kevin said, like incandecent clear bulbs, metal halide and LED's are the best source for this...

Oh yeah to simplify,

Like the light shining on the bottom of a pool on a sunny day

actually the "glimmer lines" are caused by some heavy duty physics.

Based on the "wave theory" of light, the lines are caused when two light-waves from a source of light become out of phase. When these two different phased light-waves hit an object and reflect, they combine.

Sometimes they combine and produce a net gain in light, appearing brighter than the surrounding areas. Other times they produce a net loss in light, appearing darker than the surrounding areas.

Searching for light wave interference on google will yeild countless hours of forumla and discussion trying to explain why this occurs.

It is the fact that light is susceptable to wave-interference that has earned light a dual-classifcation as both a wave and a particle. Neat stuff if ya ask me :)

Back
Top Bottom