Glosso and Cory's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garylee2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and am fairly new to planted tanks. I've been keeping a tank for two years but just simple fish were in there. So I'm starting a planted tank, and I only have plants in it currently. The only plant I'm worried about is my Glosso. I hear that I need extremely bright lighting, so I was wondering if 1.5 wpg is enough? Also if my entire foreground is covered, can I keep corydoras?

You may be able to keep the glosso alive at 1.5wpg but I doubt it will grow much or spread out into a nice carpet. It will more than likely grow upwards instead of out. What type of lighting is it? Are you dosing ferts or CO2 by chance?

If you are going for a completely lawn then I would try to avoid bottom feeders. If you have some open spots of substrate you could probably get away with it. Cories love to dig through the sand/gravel as that is where they find their food. If they can't get down under the plants they won't find any food. Feeding will be difficult because pellets/tabs will fall under the leaves.

Edit: Welcome to AA! :) Glad you joined us!

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I'm using zoomed 36 inch lights. Two 39 watts for my 50 gallon. And I dose flourish excel everyday and have liquid fertilizer every week. I tried using a DIY co2 injector but it would cloud my water and emit this white gunk so I took it out. Yea I think I'm going to not get cories, just cardinals and discus. Any suggestions?

What size discus are you getting? If they are juvies you may want to consider keeping the tank bare bottom till they grow out a bit. It makes it easier to feed them (you need to feed a lot daily), they can find the food easier. It also makes removing waste a lot easier when doing your daily water changes.

Cardinals seem to be hit or miss in my neck of the woods. I see a lot that are carrying diseases so just be careful. You should definitely quarantine them for a few weeks before introducing them in the discus tank.

I currently have about 3.5wpg in my tank and my glosso is just sitting there, not dying, not spreading. I'm not sure how it'll do in 1.5wpg.

I'm with meegosh on the cardinals. I've never had good luck with cardinals or neons personally and 90 of the ones i see in the stores all have issues of some sort (Ich, NTD, etc). Just my experience with whats available out here though.

If I were to get discus they would be juveniles (3-4 inches) Idk yet though, I might just keep altum angels instead I haven't decided if I wanted to commit to discus. But cardinals for sure. Really? Both of you have had bad experiences? I've always believed cardinals were exaggerated about their difficulty. I even had a period of time where I had 7.6 ph without a heater on my tank of cardinals. It probably depends on the batch of fish. If my Glosso doesn't work out, I think I might do dwarf sag.

Back
Top Bottom