Glow in the Dark Cichlid's ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdultra

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it really coming to this?

Why are they messing with the DNA ?

No wonder there is 2 headed snakes.

Is this wrong. Or the future.

Attachments

• Fluorescent-cichlids.jpg
    Fluorescent-cichlids.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 620
I'm not sure how well it's going to work if they start messing around with this too much. Just thinking of my tanks, I have fish that need to have 'lights out' time just to relax... There's going to be fish who can't shut off because they're being chased and fish that can't shut off because they can't ever stop chasing the glowing fish... Fish are not supposed to be seen well when the lights go out, if you don't change the mind of the fish to cope I'm not sure you can change the look of it...

+1

Ive have also seen this experiment happen to Angelfish. One of the producers is the Jy Lin Company, Taiwan's largest exporter of ornamental fish, has for the first time, successfully inserted a fluorescent protein gene into the reproductive organs of medium-sized fish, allowing them to produce radiant offspring.

Electroporation is a process whereby an electrical pulse creates passages through cell walls for the transplantation of foreign molecules, in this case the fluorescent protein gene.

As much as I hate to say it there is somewhat of a "cool" factor there. It would certainly make a interesting conversational piece.

I want that fish.

But I see what you guys mean. He'd keep the tank awake ;(

I think if you work out how these fish normally are, you can work out what this will do. It won't be a bad thing in all cases. I just wouldn't want to keep a stressed out fish... :(

I've seen axolotls that glow in the dark. I'm not surprised that people are screwing with fish now. Many of the Asian fish farms seem to have no conscience. They'll use hormones, inbreeding, and DNA manipulation to sell more fish.

But really there are so many different kind of fish on the market that have the wow factor already. It's not going to be long before they start making two headed fish and who know's what else. I thought I read that there is no way that they can be sold in the us market. I know there is a cool factor about it, but I think there is a wrong factor to also.

That may change though. I think a genetically modified food allowance was just passed in the US. If they're going to allow us to eat genetically modified stuff I'm not sure why we wouldn't be allowed to keep it as pets.

I agree this is wrong and would not purchase or condone the altering of fish including hormone and dye injections. Just simply stated the fish looks cool. Heck I wont even feed feeders to my fish cause I think that's cruel.

I agree this is wrong and would not purchase or condone the altering of fish including hormone and dye injections. Just simply stated the fish looks cool. Heck I wont even feed feeders to my fish cause I think that's cruel.

I hear ya. If I wanted lighted fish I would just put in more colored led lights. lol

I do wonder tho if they used them as bait in a lake at night. What would happen.

Not that I would condone that either.

Did this in a lab once...with E.Coli....Ended up getting an E. Coli infection the next week. Haha. Remember everyone, wash your hands after you touch anything dirty: glowing or not.

Anyways, I don't see an issue if the fish are being made for research. Novelty on the other hand is something I don't condone.

Did this in a lab once...with E.Coli....Ended up getting an E. Coli infection the next week. Haha. Remember everyone, wash your hands after you touch anything dirty: glowing or not.

Anyways, I don't see an issue if the fish are being made for research. Novelty on the other hand is something I don't condone.

But what is the real purpose of it. Are they doing it to figure out cures or is it just for the novelty.

I think it's similar to the glowfish you can get. I think it'll become popular at some point. I prefer to keep a natural environment though, these fish would look a little out of place... lol

If it was bred that way, sounds cool to me personally. I know that may sound bad but in reality there's fish already like this in nature just no known cichlids.

Glowing fish should be kept to the bottom of the sea. I'm all for playing with genetics from a research standpoint, but when it comes to commercializing these unnatural beasties... It's a bit unsettling. Granted, almost everything we keep in our home aquaria has been bred and bred and bred to get the best coloration, best breedability, longer life span, best immune system. It's hard to call what we do as a hobby natural, but it feels good to get as close as we can to an ideal natural environment. We've already seen the impact of what our "super fish" can have on the environment when they are released - Flowerhorns - scroll to Nightmarish in Nature. If these glowing fish got out... They could wreak havoc. :(

I actually think if the glowing fish got out they would be dead in moments. Something would eat them very quickly being that visible. I doubt a breeding population could survive in most waterways.

I saw some pics here on the site showing African cichlid's with teeth.

Just wait until these things are released, Like that new movie Paraná.
Oh these are the baby's and then they said oh dang were are the adults.
I know it's Hollywood but just think about it. Your swimming in you local lake and bang. lol

There's always a bigger fish. :) It's the glow in the dark Arowana or Red Tail Sharks I would look out for. ;)

Back
Top Bottom