Glue for sump built

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing will bond acrylic to glass. I would personally do glass baffles and use silicone to join them. You could get 4-5 pieces of 3/16 inch glass cut to size for cheap. If you use acrylic you could use silicone just to hold the baffles in place... but any slight bump will dislodge them as they won't be 100% water tight.

Just be sure to use an aquarium safe silicone & let it fully cure! I learned the hard way. (don't use GE II)

Most of the used tanks on craigslist are all glass. Maybe I will just need to buy a sheet of acrylic and make my own sump from scratch.

Just have the hardware store cut you pieces of glass. It is cheap and works better since it is stiffer for the baffles

Make sure it is Silicone I (not II since that one has microbicides in it). Get it in the caulking gun tube, it is much easier to deal with this way.

Get smoked glass. This way the light from the fuge doesn't grow algae in the whole sump, just in the fuge. It is not much more expensive but is worth it for the benefit. This is also why all my tubing down there is black and not clear. Before I switched to black tubing I had coralline growing in the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom