Goby in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of getting a white sleeper goby to sift the sand and had a few questions. QT tank is usually bare but should you put aragonite in there for this specimen? Do you need to QT it? Weill it get along with shrimp and the other cleaners in the tank? I've been told it's reef safe yes?

Steve

They are reef safe and will not bother coral or other inverts. I find gobies to be very solid fish and i think it will be fine in a QT with out any sand as long as you have a few places for it to hide. I would suggest watching it carefully in the fish store thought and make sure it eats before you bring it home.

You talkin' about theb white sleeper head goby with the vivid yellow stripe? Notorius for perishing in tanks since they often don't take prepared foods. Good luck. Look at the bullet goby too. Not nearly as pretty, but they do move some sand too and eat better. Having said that, be wary of any of the goby's that like to pile sand up if you have corals placed on or very near the bottom. They tend to cover the corals with sand.

I've never heard of that type of goby. I was thinking more along the lines of the pink spots and the yellow head sleeper. Both of those seem fairly easy to care for. I know the bullet gobys have a good reputation for being easy as well.

I agree with the sand and corals problem. This can be extra annoying if you have a very fine sand. They can really make a mess with that stuff.

I must be mistaken then. I don't have a ton of experience with them. I'll have to do a bit of reading about them then.

I should clarify. The one I was thinking of was the orange spotted sleeper goby. I feel bad that I'm about to put it in QT without sand. Is the sand going to hurt anything? Or I should say aragonite. I guess it can carry diseases like other fish so it should be qt'd.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom