going to re stock my tank... which fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 47cm cube tank. 27g/103 litres volume.
My tap water has a ph of 7.8 ish... water will be kept around 24 degrees. Give or take.
I'm looking into restocking it with suitable fish. And need some suggestions.

What I'm looking for is:

- a mixture of top, middle, and bottom dwellers.
- fast and slower swimmers. (If possible, as long ad they can all compete for food evenly)
- interesting fish that are all different from eachother. Nice colours.
- all fish get along.
- I love the more understock look, rather than fully stocked.
- No guppies lol. Just not my fish.
- nothing that grows too large for tank. (10cm max)
- don't mind a feature fish or two...
- no shy fish.
- I want a look that somehow captures the look of the deep ocean.
- no brackish fish.

I hope I'm not being too fussy lol
I need help with choosing fish. I mainly kept 1 agro cichlid in tank. Which got boring.
Don't know too much about other fish.
Thank u in advance.

A good top dweller fish that fits in your descriptions are zebra danios.
Mine never hid from me and they would eat from my hand all the time ( not because they were tamed just because they were always so hungry).
They can be fin nippers but mine never were.
Mine were the long finned and I really liked the look of them.

My harlequins rasbora are always around the middle area of my tank, very calming fish to watch, until feeding time. A nice shoal of a variety of Cory would see you get some good activity on the substrate, assuming it's sand or very fine gravel.

You can do corydoras or kuhli loaches for the bottom
Again my corydoras and kuhli loaches aren't shy but fish vary of course.

You can do corydoras or kuhli loaches for the bottom
Again my corydoras and kuhli loaches aren't shy but fish vary of course.

I find the larger the shoal the less shy they are, i recently added 2 more corys to my tank of 4 (making new total of 6) and it's changed their behaviour alot, they're alot more effective and out and about.

I find the larger the shoal the less shy they are, i recently added 2 more corys to my tank of 4 (making new total of 6) and it's changed their behaviour alot, they're alot more effective and out and about.

Yes do this if you decide to get them, and the same applies for the kuhlis as well.

Harlequin rasbora
Blue ram
Kuhli loaches.

Has all areas covered and nothing is overly shy as long as you get a certain size shoal

In my community tank:

Top: zebra danios (very active, are fin nippers but a larger group can help curb that)
middle: cardinal tetras (not as active as the danios, but are always schooling and moving in the middle layer of the tank)
bottom: sterba corys (activity varies, but are very amusing when active and shoal a fair amount)

Also have 3 dwarf honey/sunset gouramis and a pair of blue rams. For your tank, you could probably do the 3 layers and have 1 (maybe 2 if paired) centerpiece fish. But then again, with wanting an understocked look, I would say no centerpiece. Just go with something for each layer.

Back
Top Bottom