Gold or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a dusty wasteland. The Los Ilanos is actually a very lush plains region used by cattle ranchers, but has little to no tree cover which is why they need the higher temps.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Your wrong at all. I was just siting that one expiditions findings. Heck, ive never been there. Thanks for the further info.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahhh, lol! That was sposed to say NOT wrong at all. Sorry gillie.

Big thanks to Poppa for all the info.(y)
Finally got in contact with a fellow keeper/breeder(not of ramirezi he keeps saying) from Germany who indeed confirmed Andy and Poppa almost to the word;"very rare"!:dance:
He mentions;

I had ramirezi not bred. But I had to take pictures with breeders from our former club, if they wanted to make a presentation. I liked the fish always. But I had the water too small. It was the ancestral form, cacatuoides.
There are still among the offspring more yellow? And you have yellow couples recognized for breeding?
It may be a mutation. But that's very rare.
It must eventually had trunk with color variations connection with parents. Today there are all colors, blue, orange, red. The lemon yellow I have not yet seen.
If it is dominant, the yellow color is back. If recessive, so it is covered by the normal color. (The phenotype). But in the genotype the property exists, and may occur by chance again.
These genetics is complicated. And practice this takes a lot of time and patience

I have pulled the yellow parents as of yesterday(caught by hand in my hand!) and as usual the fry have scattered and are very difficult to see?:confused:
I still see some(few) and am feeding the 1/2 filled 29g at least 2X daily.:angel:
On the bright side(Bright yellow!!) the pair look to be ready to spawn again in their now new 1/2 filled 20G!!!!!:cool:
CLOCKWORK hopefully,as I have seen this before!!:popcorn:

Gimme gimme!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So what is phenotype and genotype?
Is phenotype the yellow I got and genotype the original?
I never bio in the last century and my buddy uses a translator(from German) so maybe it is just that?

Brooke I said I would ram you before!

I would like to keep 3 pairs or so and get the rest of this batch out to breeders!
I have never shipped,but know how and have all needed!
Soooo?
If you are a breeder and would like to help concentrate on this also let me know.
Heres a couple pics from today!
This is the male in the 20g today
99907-albums14345-picture69033.jpg

These are in the 30b
99907-albums14345-picture69034.jpg

99907-albums14345-picture69032.jpg

You can see they color in a little with the spot.
This comes and goes in different levels with some fish.
It seems at this time the most yellow are the largest and males?
Some of the smaller ones look normal and may be as I believe there is more then one spawn in here.
I also just realized today the 40b above these guys has juvis to small to have colored up yet and who knows if I already have more(I have been looking closer!):popcorn:

Phenotypes = physical traits, and charecteristics

Genotypes are the differences in genetic make up.

Two organisms that are for all purposes similar, but not exact are said to be diff genotypes.

So i think what hes saying is hes curious if this is a pheno type issue. I.E. Just a colormorph. Ir is this caused by a geno type from ancestral genetics being mixed or bred in many many yrs ago. And now its showing the one in a million chance that the genotype difference is becoming more dominant.

So hes debating. Is this a phenotype, rare color morph becoming dominant. Is this a genotype, a cause of minute gene mixing, or an anomoly .
Just my thoughts on it.

These genes ARE difficult. Because they were being bred out in asia long before europe got a hold of them. So some of the many decades ago breeding by hard working asians, coukd have had some expirements thrown in to drive out traits in the gbrs we know now.

Which would cause these anomolies.

For example. Ive got blackfoot native american blood in me. I also have african american in me. But im white as a white kansas boy can be. It doesnt mean those genes wont rear a head and produce physical traits of eitber of those gene pools in my or further descendants offspring. This would be a genotype issue.

If i was anglo through and through. And some of these trairs showef up, it would be a phenotype issue. Once again this is just how i grasp it.

So my buddy may have found what I could not!

He noted no text to translate but I got 4 minutes of a German kid trying to tell me something about his ALBINO rams!!!:confused:

Why did I take French?:facepalm:

They are definitely not albino, lucistic maybe, but not albino. They have normal eye color and are the same type I've seen many poor suckers pay big bucks for as albino. As for your fish, their look is reminiscent of some wild fish I've seen.

They are definitely not albino, lucistic maybe, but not albino. They have normal eye color and are the same type I've seen many poor suckers pay big bucks for as albino. As for your fish, their look is reminiscent of some wild fish I've seen.

Thanks Gillie!
I never knew about leucistic but I understand better now.
What color would the iris be on an albino??
I know the pupil is clear allowing us to see the blood behind giving us the red eye thought.
I can't tell from the video what color the pupils are as all photos /video are only representations to me???
It really seems only the males are holding the most yellow?
I will be separating all soon!

Thanks Gillie!
I never knew about leucistic but I understand better now.
What color would the iris be on an albino??
I know the pupil is clear allowing us to see the blood behind giving us the red eye thought.
I can't tell from the video what color the pupils are as all photos /video are only representations to me???
It really seems only the males are holding the most yellow?

An albino's eyes will be all red/pink, the fish in the video have black pupils with a red iris.

Seperated pair has laid eggs!
I believe it was last evening,but they are protecting the eggs now in their own 20g.

I got another set of eggs from the 30 b with the rest of the yellows the next day .
I moved them in with the separated pair when I found them.
I have used surrogate parents before with decent luck.
Both sets went infertile in 24hrs.
Although these are guys are kind of young I wonder if they have another issue?
They all seem to be looking "more normal" ,but sort of wild and not colored up?
The spot is visible on many but not all as the biggest few(4 or 5) are staying "yellow".

Well surprise surprise!
It would seem the yellow pair moved the fertile eggs away from the bad.
There is a large swarm like cloud around the pair this am!
Hoping they will be there when I get home later?
I love being wrong like this!
Possibly there are more(the second set) still waiting to hatch?

To me, there is nothing greater in fish breeding than seeing a swarm of fry. :D A swarm so big you can barely see through it to see the parents. :lol:
Congrats. (y)

So my buddy may have found what I could not!

He noted no text to translate but I got 4 minutes of a German kid trying to tell me something about his ALBINO rams!!!:confused:

Why did I take French?:facepalm:
Wanted to note my buddy who linked this to me just joined this forum!
I hope everybody enjoys talking fish breeding with Arthur75!:dance:

I'll be following...

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Which reminds me I found where I saw the pic of an albino ram
https://www.aqa.ru/Dwarf

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice link Gillie.
The Yellows actually look a lot more like the veiltail rams in the same link now.
I have to get a picture of the better males soon.
Poppa did I send you a yellow male with long fins?
What do you think ?

Back
Top Bottom