gold severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need help sexing 2 gold severums i have anyone know how to tell the difference?
i will put up pictures of them when i can
thanks alot

It really depends on the size, pictures will help for sure

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

yeah sure i have finally got some pictures

i think the big one (this one) is the female as i think ive seen her lay the eggs but not too sure

Attachments

• IMG_5523.jpg
    IMG_5523.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 101
and i think the small one (this one) is the male but again not too sure
ive seen both of them around the eggs and protecting them and scaring away the other fishes

Attachments

• IMG_5531.jpg
    IMG_5531.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5539.jpg
    IMG_5539.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5541.jpg
    IMG_5541.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 97
First one appears male. Second on looks male as well, but it's hard to tell with the pictures. A full side shot of the second would be helpful, showing the fins, especially the end of the dorsal and the anal fin

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The first one can't be a male as I saw it lay the eggs and also the first has much less face markings then the second one
I'll will try to get a side shot of the second one tomorrow
But just to let you know the second one is much smaller than the first and so probably less developed but you can still see more markings on the face compared to the first one

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have seen it lay eggs, then why ask? That is a pretty sure fire way to sex a fish. Severums are tricky as the ordinary ways to sex most fish don't exactly apply to these. The best way to tell for sure is to vent them really

I know one of them is most likely a female i asked just to make sure because it might have been the other one that laid the eggs but mostly I was talking about the other one the second and smaller one I don't know whether its male or female

can anyone tell me whether the small one is a male or female?

Not 100% but it looks like I can see the breeding tubes on both and going by what I see looks like the smaller one is the male. You can see better than any one the males tube will look like a sharpened pencil and the female will look like the eraser end.

Thanks mikem691 :)

Yeah they both have the breeding tubes and they are both visible
But I thought you couldn't tell the difference using breeding tubes with this fish? :s

Also seeing as the male is small is he ready to breed yet and fertilise the eggs?
Because yesterday he ate a few eggs while the female was laying them and protected the rest and then I woke up this morning and they are all gone is that because he's not ready and also how can I prevent this?
How can you tell the eggs are fertilised?

If you can't tell by the breeding tubes that's something I didn't know.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can't tell by the breeding tubes that's something I didn't know.

yes i'm pretty sure you cant i think they have the same breeding tubes...
Also do you mind answer my other questions in the other post please?
I have one more question that is how often will the female lay eggs again?

This one I don't know the answer to. I only have a single red spot severum.

Not to worry and thanks again :)

Anyone else that can answer my questions please?
Would be much appreciated

Seeing as the male is small is he ready to breed yet and fertilise the eggs?

Because yesterday he ate a few eggs while the female was laying them and protected the rest and then I woke up this morning and they are all gone is that because he's not ready and also how can I prevent this?

How can you tell the eggs are fertilised and how often will the female lay eggs and breed?

it is very common for cichlids to eat the eggs the first few times the breed , if there are other fish in the tank or you bother them they will eat the eggs to stop anything else from eating them
they should breed again soon and you could remove the eggs and hatch them your self
un futertilized will turn white and get fungus in a day or so
male severums usually have more markings on there face than females and are larger

it is very common for cichlids to eat the eggs the first few times the breed , if there are other fish in the tank or you bother them they will eat the eggs to stop anything else from eating them
they should breed again soon and you could remove the eggs and hatch them your self
un futertilized will turn white and get fungus in a day or so
male severums usually have more markings on there face than females and are larger
thanks alot :)

Thats the thing they laid their eggs in a community tank so there were fish around but when other fish came close they scared them away, could that be a reason why they ate them?

Do you know how often/soon they will breed again?
ok maybe next time i will remove them but then how can i care for the eggs without the parents around?

My male is pretty small compared to the female as you can see from the pictures so will it still breed and fertilise the eggs and be a good parent?

Anyone able to answer my question please?
would be much appreciated thanks :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom